Kool Stop brake-pads: options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My road bike shall need new pads soon and having looked at various threads Kool Stop seem to be popular among CC'ers.

Quite a few members have recommended Salmon on front and Black on rear. Can someone explain, in simple terms pls, why this would be more advantageous than dual compound at front and rear, for example?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My road bike shall need new pads soon and having looked at various threads Kool Stop seem to be popular among CC'ers.

Quite a few members have recommended Salmon on front and Black on rear. Can someone explain, in simple terms pls, why this would be more advantageous than dual compound at front and rear, for example?

As I understand it the Salmons provide the greatest stopping power. Bikes are designed to have greater power from the front brakes.

potsy

Rambler
^ What he said. I guess that the dual compounds are more of a compromise?
I actually use Salmons front & rear, just personal preference

Me too, I actually put a set on the front and once they wore down to halfway I switched them to the back and put a new set up front :biggrin:

BSRU

A Human Being
Salmon's are for wet/muddy conditions, black's are for dry conditions, the combi pads cover both circumstances.

I have salmon's on my main commuter and they cope well with all weathers, I have black's on my road bike but that never experiences wet conditions.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OK, I run Salmons up front and Blacks on the rear.
My reasoning is simple and crude, it allows me to grab equal amounts of brake without fearing the rear locking-up.
On the road, the front brake is the important one, the rear plays a relatively minor role, however too much application of the rear can easily lead to loss of control.
Rightly or wrongly, that's what I do and it works for me.

chris-s

I prefer the Clarkes Golds tripple compound, half the price + spare set of pads and stop just as well ime.

Chris

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Wot he said ^

Furthermore I find the Salmons wear quicker than the Black. I can go through 2 sets of Salmons on the front over winter whilst a set of black lasts all year.

OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Thanks for all the replies people, most helpful, as usual.

FF: do you find the salmons wear quicker as noted by Kestevan? And, are you doing the Bognor FNRttC?

edit for an errant apostophe.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for all the replies people, most helpful, as usual.

FF: do you find the salmons wear quicker as noted by Kestevan? And, are you doing the Bognor FNRttC?

edit for an errant apostophe.

Hio Shadow

I don't really find they wear a great quicker, but then I don't monitor theses things very closely. I guess it also depends how you use your brakes and what kind of mileages you do and in what conditions.

Regarding the next FNRttC - B*gger Bognor! I'm out of cycle-passes at the moment, so I don't expect to do any more for a while. :sad:

Top Bottom