koolstop brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP3109.aspx?A=3

"inserts"

what do they 'insert' into?

Do you need a holder, if so where do you get it, and will it fit my brake calipers.

My current brakes are what i think are called 'dual pull', i call them 'caliper brakes', anyhow they're just the standard type of shimano brakes you find on most road bikes, i.e. not V-brakes. Can't use V-brake blocks as although they would fit on the brake caliper itself they are too long for how close the calipers are to the seatstay/forks.

The brake blocks i've currently got have just got a bolt that comes off goes through a gap in the caliper back into the back of the block to hold it on.

Current brakes' performance isn't desparately bad or anything, but wouldn't say no to it being slightly sharper. Also was wondering is koolstap salmon more powerful in the dry aswell as the wet (i notice they're listed as for wet weather),

and is there any merit in having koolstop salmon on the front and normal ones on the back to stop me fishtailing when braking from high speed - there's a hill i come down on the way home that's quite steep and can bat down it at a fair old crack (e.g. 40) but there's some evil traffic lights a third of the way down and some more near the bottom... i've noticed this can cause my rear end to wander a little bit.

The inserts are used in cartridge style brake block systems. Basically you have a brake cartridge which bolts on to the brake arm and a replaceable pad which is removed by sliding it out of the holder. In theory it saves you from having to fanny about toeing in your brakes every time you replace the block because the vital component, ie the bit that bolts on to the brake arm, isn't undone or removed. You will need some of these which come with pads (or inserts if you prefer). Inserts are interchangeable, so long as they are Shimano compatible. Better inserts (and I think I'm right in saying that aftermarket inserts by Salmon etc are better quality than the ones that come with the brakes) will improve your braking but if you are fishtailing then you might just be applying the rear brake too hard.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What Chuffy said...

I run Salmon on the front and regular black ones on the rear as you describe. It works fine on my TCR. Can grab equal handfuls of brakes without the rear locking up. Fine in the wet. Worked a treat down Ventoux where scrubbing off speed quickly and controlled from 45mph to tight hairpin speed is pretty useful!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chuffy said:
The inserts are used in cartridge style brake block systems. Basically you have a brake cartridge which bolts on to the brake arm and a replaceable pad which is removed by sliding it out of the holder. In theory it saves you from having to fanny about toeing in your brakes every time you replace the block because the vital component, ie the bit that bolts on to the brake arm, isn't undone or removed. You will need some of these which come with pads (or inserts if you prefer). Inserts are interchangeable, so long as they are Shimano compatible. Better inserts (and I think I'm right in saying that aftermarket inserts by Salmon etc are better quality than the ones that come with the brakes) will improve your braking but if you are fishtailing then you might just be applying the rear brake too hard.

ok that explains it, thanks... I think i probably am applying the rear brake too hard. But as FF says i think if the front brake is more powerful i won't need to apply the rear as hard, thus just swinging the balance proportionately more to the front.

Fab Foodie said:
What Chuffy said...

I run Salmon on the front and regular black ones on the rear as you describe. It works fine on my TCR. Can grab equal handfuls of brakes without the rear locking up. Fine in the wet. Worked a treat down Ventoux where scrubbing off speed quickly and controlled from 45mph to tight hairpin speed is pretty useful!

well that should be good enough for me then...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
those prices are steeeeeep. i got a pair of black kool-stops for £2 from lbs, who had previously given me a free set to try out.

chester road cycles, macclesfield, don't know if they do mail order though.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Dave5N said:
Why are you using the back brake like that? The front brake does the stopping (unless it's slippy)

well i didn't think i was using it much at all, maybe 80/20 front/rear, but maybe even that's too much rear, perhaps i need to only feather the rear very lightly indeed, just enough to stop the rotational momentum of the wheel itself push the bike forwards more (in effect, if that makes sense).

Top Bottom