KoolStop Salmons problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
One thing about the pics that confuses me - if all the grey/black stuff on the pads is brake dust why isn't it salmon coloured? Maybe your rims could do with a good cleaning - that might improve things.

I just put the same pads on my bike yesterday and, though it was dry, they seemed pretty responsive from the off. I'll wait until the rain catches me before I try them in the wet.
That grey/black stuff is what happens when you use salmons when it is wet.

Never had any problems with KoolStop Salmons in the wet, apart from the gunk.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'll think about i more carefully while I'm riding tomorrow and what I'm expecting the brakes to do. I think the pads have been fine in the dry, it was the wet weather performance that worried me. I'm not expecting them to the same in wet and dry, but i thought i could expect them to be better than the standard pads i had. The ultegra pads in particular seemed to be a very hard rubber. Could you give me any idea of how powerful these should be in wet vs dry conditions? I've had some very nervous and slow rides recently because my stopping distance must be a good 4 times further than in the dry.

It's hard to say really, I didn't get a chance to use my salmon's much as I've had problems with the front mech on that bike and have had stuff come up so not had a chance to fix it. I know that braking expectations vary- a friend and I got bikes from Ribble, he said his generic pads were crud whereas I didn't mind mine too much- funnily enough he replaced them with Koolstop Salmons! I do reckon a good clean of the rims and the blocks (using something none soapy/none greasy on the blocks -babywipes are good) may help. I have better experience on Aztec pads on my steel bike and when I'm travelling in super wet conditions or travelling fast downhill, braking can be a bit less responsive. However you know what they say when it comes to cars- allow more time to brake as it will be less responsive in wet conditions.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wash my bike after every wet day. Gets rid of crap from rims, yet mine go in just 18 months. Clean them, they stop very well. I just avoided running a pedestrian down tonight. My laser beams on, not dark, just stepped out and kept walking, I was nearly two metres out from the pavement. Fortunately, I also ride fixed, so had three brakes. No reason koolstops should not work.

I run clarkes on my road bikes, and not a single issue stopping. Yes they wear fast if very wet, but they stop. I've seen my pads go in a wet week or a wet 120 miles ride.

zizou

Veteran
With pads that close to the rim I wouldnt expect to be able to pull the brake levers all the way to the bars.

I might be imagining things but the brake calipers look a bit 'closed' to me (im not sure if this is the proper technical term). Is there a build up of gunk on them causing them to stick slightly?

OP
OP
J

Jon2

I should add, it's not normally that dirty, honest!!! :angel:

If i pull the brake lever, and then release it again, should the calipers be at their absolute maximum distance from the rims? At first thought I'd say yes, but i wondered if anyone with brakes that work well could check. Mine probably have an extra mm or maybe 2 that they can move if i pull them apart. It really is very little extra, but I'm not sure if having a small amount is normal or not.

It's too dark outside and I don't have the luxury of outside lighting or a garage but I'll give them a good clean with baby wipes in the morning and see if it helps.

sidevalve

Über Member
I think you may have solved at least a part of your own problem. If the calipers don't open fully you have lost motion in the system, ie wasted lever movement. I would suggest at least a strip clen and lube of the calipers.

Top Bottom