Thru axle problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
My Boardman mountain bike I bought at New Year has a thru axle on the front wheel. This has been a pain since I got it as at least every other ride it works itself loose even when tightened with a torque wrench to the maximum recommended torque. The fork is a Rock Shox Judy.
Today I was intending checking the brake pads but can't get the thru axle to unscrew. The hole for the allen key is already rounding out. I've tried plus gas to no avail.

Anybody have any tips for getting it out? Once out can it be replaced with a quick release?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
If you only bought it at New Year - surely it should be under warranty and I'd take it back and let them sought it out - it sounds a faulty part

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Does it have a quick release? Are you using it correctly? What exactly is coming loose?

From my limited experience of thru-axles the only bit that requires torquing is the countersink bolt that holds on the threaded portion and allows you to index it to get the QR lever in an appropriate place when the axle is tight..

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does it have a quick release? Are you using it correctly? What exactly is coming loose?

From my limited experience of thru-axles the only bit that requires torquing is the countersink bolt that holds on the threaded portion and allows you to index it to get the QR lever in an appropriate place when the axle is tight..

Sounds like a stealth axel that uses a hex key to undo.

Alex321

Veteran

Most thru-axles don't have a QR. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen one which does.

Alex321

Veteran
My Boardman mountain bike I bought at New Year has a thru axle on the front wheel. This has been a pain since I got it as at least every other ride it works itself loose even when tightened with a torque wrench to the maximum recommended torque. The fork is a Rock Shox Judy.
Today I was intending checking the brake pads but can't get the thru axle to unscrew. The hole for the allen key is already rounding out. I've tried plus gas to no avail.

Anybody have any tips for getting it out? Once out can it be replaced with a quick release?

With mine when it was sticking, I found that the long end of an allen key would go deeper and give better grip, then turn that with a pair of pliers.

You can get adapters to replace it with a QR - but if you do it won't really be "Quick" Release unless you have open drop outs in the fork, which is unusual with a thru-axle.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Most thru-axles don't have a QR. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen one which does.

Jeez. I'm getting old / memories failing / can't be certain, but: I'm 100% certain my Forme CX / Gravel bike has thru-axle with no Q/R.

But i'm 99% certain the front Thru-axle on my Vitus VRS MTB (The hub mates on Suntour forks) has Q/R.....
***Just looked at pics online = confirmed :becool:

***Random !

T4tomo

Legendary Member

replace it with the "QR type" thru axle of the correct mm diameter (some are 12mm some are 15mm)

random pic of differing designs, I'm guessing have one like 2nd left.

1683792802808.png

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My thru axle on my road bike front also comes loose. Interested to see the remedy

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
What is a quick release TA?

I thought they all needed unscrewing to release - which isn't QR.

Mine just screw up tight with the usual 'lever' and then the lever can be pulled outwards and rotated to a suitable resting position and then it retracts back inwards.

They have never loosened.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Regarding the allen key hole rounding out: you may have another hex allen key hole at the other (threaded) end of the TA, some axles do and some don't, for example my Brand X TA's do but the old ones didn't.

Alex321

Veteran
My thru axle on my road bike front also comes loose. Interested to see the remedy

Mine has done it once - but almost certainly my fault, as it was a couple of days after I had the wheel off to fix a puncture, and I probably didn't tighten it back up properly.

But it has only been that once, in 6,800 miles on that bike.

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
If you only bought it at New Year - surely it should be under warranty and I'd take it back and let them sought it out - it sounds a faulty part

It was bought online and assembled by myself. I can't prove I didn't overtighten it. Once I get it out, the last thing I want to do is put it back in, so I can't prove that it slackens in use.

Top Bottom