Ksyrium Equipe Wheelset and 9 speed 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just brought some new Ksyrium Equipe wheels. I swapped over the 9 speed block from my old wheels and tightened everything and went for a ride. The rear cassette didn't seem to be running smoothly. When I got home i discovered that the locking nut on the cassette was tight up against the hub to the required torque setting but the cassette was still loose and able to move by about 1mm. I took it all apart and on close inspection the hub is longer than the depth of the cassette.

Any thoughts? I'll go back to the shop in the morning to discuss with them; but i would like to go armed with some knowledge in case they try to baffle me with bull! It's the first time i have used this LBS so not sure what they are like.

Thanks
Windy

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Have you got all the spacers installed that came with the cassette?

Bigtwin

Can only be missing a spacer somewhere - The new ones say M10 compatible, so I guess that cassette is wider than a 9 speed one.

i don't recall there being an extra spacer in the cassette box when i got it. It was on an LX hub (Thorn Cyclosprotif rear spacing is 132.5mm so you can use either a road 130mm or MTB 135mm hub) which is a 9 speed MTB and touring hub. Would that make a difference?

Windy

There should be a spacer, should have come with the wheels.

The instruction leaflet which came with the wheels (that scrap of yellow paper with pictures on it, not all that informative...) should have explained (but I didn't find it all that clear either...).

Ksyriums, and Aksiums and Cosmics, come in either ED10 Campag-splined or M10 Shimano-splined.

So what you have there is a Mavic M10 hub - but this is a Mavic-fit hub not 'proper' Shimano although it has Shimano splines.

It can actually be used for both Campag and Shimano, because as well as taking Shimano cassettes, Mavic sell Campag-spaced but Shimano-splined 10sp cassettes which fit on it.

The Campag-fit cassettes are a bit wider than Shimano, so to fit Shimano you also need a Mavic spacer which should have been supplied with the wheels (a 3mm thick big washer basically)

So to fit your 9sp Shimano cassette, you need to use the Mavic spacer between the hub and cassette
(- if you wanted to fit Mavic's Shimano-splined but Campag-spaced cassette, you'd fit that direct with no spacers)
(- and if you wanted to fit a 10sp Shimano cassette, you'd use the Mavic spacer and the Shimano 10sp spacer)

thanks for the advice. took the wheel back to the shop today and they had to nick a spacer from another wheel set on display. All sorted now.

It does annoy me that if you buy stuff that has been on display in the shop it so often is not pristine or has bits missing but they still charge top wack for it.

Anyhow all working very well; so went for a nice blast round the lanes in the glorious sunshine and suddenly all was ok with the world :tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Windy

02GF74

Über Member
WindyRob said:
thanks for the advice. took the wheel back to the shop today and they had to nick a spacer from another wheel set on display. All sorted now.

exactly - where did you think your spacer had gone??? ;)

Top Bottom