Kudos to everyone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
No Kudos for me then, My route is too dangerous in the winter in the dark. I used to do it all year round but Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb I take a break.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
so out of all the guys who do commute all year round, whats the distance? climbing? time taken etc etc ??

My old route was all on the road, 11 miles each way and took about 40-50 mins depending on how I felt. Changed route to canal towpaths for all but 4 miles of 13 mile each way now and takes about an hour and 10 mins. Longer and slower but much safer and much less stress.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All on road
A mix of between 25 miles a day minimum round trip and when I feel like it, like today, a 35 mile round trip.
It works out about 2 and half hours a day cycle commuting, and I love it.
Climbing. Not sure, but it's not a huge amount being in SE London. Though I did a couple of short but steep hills this morning a 12%er and a 10%er.

si_c

Guru
I commute year round and never really have any problems - sometimes I can't be arsed getting out of bed, but that happens in summer too. One advantage to commuting every day is that you don't really have much other choice. Sure I could bail and take the train, but that takes just as long as riding and because I ride every day, it would have a definite cost in doing so. Same with driving, I work in a hospital so there is nowhere to park, and I don't have a parking permit, which means that there would be a cost to parking, or a significant walk should I find somewhere to park, not to mention that I don't drive in the first place :tongue:

So I do my 12+ mile each way, and I'll often extend it out on the way home too regardless of the weather - wet, stormy, snowy, dry, hot - and enjoy it the same each day.

clf

All year for me too, I've just replaced my wheels on my commuter so I've fitted the old ones with spiked tyres, as mentioned above, my concern is putting my foot down when I stop, also I don't really fancy being clipped in on ice, might have to look at alternative footwear on the rare occasions I'll be out in the ice and snow.

All year for me too, I've just replaced my wheels on my commuter so I've fitted the old ones with spiked tyres, as mentioned above, my concern is putting my foot down when I stop, also I don't really fancy being clipped in on ice, might have to look at alternative footwear on the rare occasions I'll be out in the ice and snow.
Clipless systems suffer from a few potential issues in icy conditions:
The mechanism can freeze up
The cleats can become clogged with ice
The shoes may have the wrong tread pattern for snow and ice.
Most shoes are vented.
Winter clipless boots are quite expensive.
You can just fit some platform or BMX style pedals and wear lightweight hiking boots in the snow.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have a car and secure car parking, and yet commute by bike most days.

Actually, kudos is really due to those that sit in their expensive metal boxes, going nowhere fast and watching their fuel gauge drop. They must have some patience.

clf

Clipless systems suffer from a few potential issues in icy conditions:
The mechanism can freeze up
The cleats can become clogged with ice
The shoes may have the wrong tread pattern for snow and ice.
Most shoes are vented.
Winter clipless boots are quite expensive.
You can just fit some platform or BMX style pedals and wear lightweight hiking boots in the snow.

Yep, the pedals on my commuter are double sided so I can wear normal shoes or SPDs, my winter SPD boots are awesome though, I have a good pair of hiking boots that will take over if and when the ice and snow come.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm rock hard; me. I commute all year round by bike, no matter the weather. None of your softy southerner weather either. We get rain and gales in July; ice, snow and blizzards in winter. I just put on the correct clothing for the journey; if it can get me to work dry, then I'm happy. We don't have any of your modern nonsense like changing facilities and showers - you get to work wet, too bad! So I just batter on for that 1.1 mile commute for the full 6 or 7 minutes that it takes through the non existent rush hour traffic. If the day comes that I have to revert to 25 miles each way on busy trunk roads again, then the bike can go and do one - it'll be back to the car thanks!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
so out of all the guys who do commute all year round, whats the distance? climbing? time taken etc etc ??

And female cyclists of course or you exclude 50% of our school run annual weather busting team. ‘Guys’ is no longer accepted as an all encompassing term for all genders of people just to keep you up to speed with female empowerment in the modern age. :okay:

She does 8km and I do 16km for obvious reasons. When it’s below freezing she wears two coats and when there’s ice, the bike is shod in Kenda Klondike ice tyres. 70 - 140m climbing.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
And female cyclists of course or you exclude 50% of our school run annual weather busting team. ‘Guys’ is no longer accepted as an all encompassing term for all genders of people just to keep you up to speed with female empowerment in the modern age. :okay:

She does 8km and I do 16km for obvious reasons. When it’s below freezing she wears two coats and when there’s ice, the bike is shod in Kenda Klondike ice tyres. 70 - 140m climbing.
Guys as in people.....not just men

Like when someone says "hey guys" when theres a mixed group friends at the bar.......catch my drift

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Guys as in people.....not just men

Like when someone says "hey guys" when theres a mixed group friends at the bar.......catch my drift

I do. Don’t worry. I’m just letting you know the progressive women of the world dismiss the term and I agree. My esteemed learning comes from a professional female cyclist and others being interviewed by the ladies from Look Mum No Hands.

But anyway: Pretty interesting feedback about the school run huh? Does it count as a commute?

Top Bottom