Kudos to everyone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I don't think I could summon up the willpower to go outside and go for a bike ride on a cold, damp, dark winter's morning but as an all-year, all-weather commuter rider I don't need will power, it just becomes a habit. Sometimes I get to work and forget how I got there.

It don't do "chore" riding, I give up mid-November and bar the odd day ride, only re-emerge in Spring. If I had nice commute, a quiet or beautiful one, it might be different but doing a cold/wet urban commute through choked traffic with frustrated/angry drivers is not enjoyable at all.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I do. Don’t worry. I’m just letting you know the progressive women of the world dismiss the term and I agree. My esteemed learning comes from a professional female cyclist and others being interviewed by the ladies from Look Mum No Hands.

But anyway: Pretty interesting feedback about the school run huh? Does it count as a commute?
Yes it counts

Slick

Guru
I set off at about 05:00 in the morning, on my work commute. There are only a couple of weeks of the year, when it isn’t dark.

You would get 4 months of daylight up here at 5am, maybe a bit more.

I know I've posted this a few times but for me there is no kudos in it. One guy at work looked me in the eye and expressed amazement that I looked out the window, saw the wind and rain, and cycled in anyway. The truth is, for reasons I don't fully understand myself, I enjoy the challenge of winter commuting probably more than summer commuting. The odd day I do take the car, there is a roundabout without lights that's always a nightmare to get round and as I'm sitting waiting my turn like all the other lemmings, I always wonder where I would be if I had the bike.

I cycle just shy of 15 miles in about 50 minutes. On the way home it takes me just over the hour as there is over 1000 ft of climbing one of them cat 4 on Strava.

Katherine

Guru
Guys’ is no longer accepted as an all encompassing term for all genders of people just to keep you up to speed with female empowerment in the modern age.
It's widely used in all my personal groups of family, friends and colleagues.
Guys as in people.....not just men

Like when someone says "hey guys" when theres a mixed group friends at the bar.......catch my drift

Agree.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Thinking about trying these this winter. Not sure I have the confidence to really trust them or not. Do you feel totally safe even on thick, black ice?

Try them and you'll love them

IMG_3218.JPG

I've even ridden them on an outdoor skating rink (much to the disgust of the irate event organisers) :whistle:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
All year round for me as well - anywhere from 20 to 30 miles on the round trip and 200 - 300m of upwards bits. I've only used the car on the commute once this year where the weather forecast was for gale force winds & heavy rain so I used it as an opportunity to take a load of bukly items to the local dump/recycling centtre on the way.

so out of all the guys who do commute all year round, whats the distance? climbing? time taken etc etc ??
Between 12 miles round trip in about 35 minutes each way, mostly up hill, and 150 miles, in about 11 hours round trip. Thankfully the ‘super commute’ is only used if I’ve got no other choice, and is only a couple of times a year at most, as it is a killer of a route, and I’ve also usually got a couple of hours stuff to do when I get there, but it still beats public transport. If it’s a ‘utility’ ride, I’m really not overly concerned with speeds, Just as long as I get where I’m going in the time I have.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thinking about trying these this winter. Not sure I have the confidence to really trust them or not. Do you feel totally safe even on thick, black ice?

Studs are at their best on black ice.

You can cycle - steadily - on a surface on which you can barely walk.

Most of us have had the experience when coming to a stop on studs of putting a foot down and the foot slipping.

Quite funny, you can ride OK on the ice but you fall off when you stop.
Yes, @Mo1959 riding on ice is totally safe, it's the stopping that is iffy!
Last winter, when it was really bad, I used the road for a few commutes instead of the iced up paths: putting my foot down was getting to treacherous, with pedestrians and with the multiple give ways.
But then, I'm not very good at zig-zagging at the best of times :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I love Winter commuting, not as much as Summer. I try to ride all the time, but any signs of ice and I'm in the van. Quite enjoy the dark rides in at 0530hrs, less so the night rides in at 1730hrs when the roads are busier.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Riding to work is just what I do each day. I actually miss it on the rare occasions I have to commute differently, and I don't feel as awake. It's quite hard to drive in now as we have new access/parking restrictions, so I have less of an option to bail out. I have studded tyres for winter, and if it gets really windy I get out the mountain bike, but in general I just carry on as normal.

My commute is about 20km round trip and has about 170m climbing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Riding to work is just what I do each day. I actually miss it on the rare occasions I have to commute differently, and I don't feel as awake. It's quite hard to drive in now as we have new access/parking restrictions, so I have less of an option to bail out. I have studded tyres for winter, and if it gets really windy I get out the mountain bike, but in general I just carry on as normal.

My commute is about 20km round trip and has about 1870m climbing.
So your commute is 12 mile round trip and approx 6000ft of climbing??? 450ft climbing per mile??

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom