Kyokuto Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bondsy

Does anyone know anything about Kyokuto pedals. I am currently restoring a 1967 Mercian and it has some pretty rough Kyokuto Sprint pedals, and not sure if they are worth the effort to sort out. However doing some looking on the net I can not find any ref to the sprint pedals. Everything is about the top run and pro vic versions so I am wondering if I should keep them. If anyone has got any info it would be greatly received.

midlife

Guru
Kyokuto were my go to pedal in the mid 70's the Pro Ace was campagnolo quality but a fraction of the price. Black alloy cages too :smile:

Even the budget series, top run, were OK. Sprint doesn't ring a bell. Any pics?

If all else fails use some MKS Sylvan, they have looked the same for the last 45 years lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Kyokuto were my go to pedal in the mid 70's the Pro Ace was campagnolo quality but a fraction of the price. Black alloy cages too :smile:

Even the budget series, top run, were OK. Sprint doesn't ring a bell. Any pics?

If all else fails use some MKS Sylvan, they have looked the same for the last 45 years lol
Here are some pics midlife

20201107_183713.jpg

midlife

Guru
Look similar / identical to top run but a pista version.

Like top run they would be OK at the price point, better than the cheap loyotards BITD lol. f they are rough then might be easier to buy replacements.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

@biggs682 they are going to need a little more than a clean up. Seized up and not rotating going need striping and probably new bearings.

Scrap, buy decent new MKS.

Back in the late ‘70s there was a run of correspondence in the CTC comic about creaking and clicking pedals, turned out that the worst offenders were those with pressed together barrels like that, final advice was ”get a pair of millionaire’s pedals”, i.e. one piece dural bodies.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Going to keep them and as suggested strip clean and re-grease. Think they are original to the bike so make sense to use them.
Anyone got any info where you can get universal mod 61 brake lever hoods from?

Top Bottom