England : London L2B Veteran Car Run; Sunday 2 November 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Five of us started from Redhill, no rain but dampness on the roads so we were sprayed from the rear wheels of the old cars, chatted to several drivers - as always everyone was very friendly - then was offered free tea from a tent, all good stuff, stopped to admire the cars at the Honda garage then popped,into a nearby hostelry for coffee whereupon the heavens opened in torrents of torrential rain with added torrents. We loitered for ages then opted for the weak solution so rode, in the dry, to Crawley station where I dithered about riding back to Redhill and the car. At that point the rain started as before only worse, so we boarded the train. At Redhill it had stopped. It has not rained on me since.
So an excellent day, only 10 miles on the bike but all good fun. I do feel sorry for those drivers in that rain. See you mext year.....

frank9755

Cyclist
I've just got back. Turned back with @arallsop a dozen or so miles before Brighton. Lovely ride back, mostly dry, and about half off-road. Well done Bob and FF for getting to Brighton. Now for a shower!

frank9755

Cyclist
I was led astray and got taken out for an unplanned curry. I have nothing ready, so I've decided to withdraw. Have a great ride and I'm sure you'll stay dry.

Sorry you didn't make it Tim. Was hoping to hear some more about your tour in Spain as it looked stunning.
I'm afraid your 'unplanned curry' excuse was being widely derided this morning. Then I realised that I had an unplanned curry last night too. We were went to a Thai restaurant but found it wasn't there any more, so we went to an Indian instead. And yet I still made it!

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Ow it was a wet one, after Andy and Frank turned around the heavens opened up and I tried to catch up with Bob and Kev and must have shot past them
I reached Brighton at 1320 had fishnchips then had the 3am shivers

Just before Gatwick one of the crocks nudged me :cycle: :laugh:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
An unexpected turn up for me, in that I unexpectedly turned up at East Croydon. Having found myself awake with enough time to get there, the SMGTe cried off with a punctured Marathon Plus. Unwilling to throw the towel in (though in retrospect I should have brought it with me) I circled back and grabbed HMS Queenie.

From that point on, much smiling, an awful lot of rain, some mild hysterics, and excellent company.

I had a family tea to lure me home by 4, so turned back with Frank at midday. Seems the wet stuff was chasing topcat, with our northbound progress being notably drier and tailwind assisted.

Home with squeaky tendons and into a hot bath by quarter to three with seventy something miles on the clock.

Great to see you all.

You don't dissolve, you know. :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Made it, got rained on and drenched a few times over. Soaked through but there was no way I wasn't getting to Brighton. The hills weren't bad at all through the rally route. Just home as lot of train cancellations but lovely ride. Will read the above when I'm warmer and tea-d up

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Back home and Roast dinner nommed ^_^

What an EPIC day out. Thanks for all the others that took a chance and braved the elements .... particularly Nye, what a star!

My day kicked off with a 0415 alarm and I was on the road by 5.15 for Coulsdon. With no traffic on the road I made excellent time, parked-up and got to the station nice and early for a coffee and baguette. One by one the team mostly composed of Clarion , Nye, Butterfly, Terrie, ttcycle, Bob, Topcat, Arallsop, Frank, Adrian et moi convened and hit the road.
East Croydon was positively balmy, a short sharp shower around sarf Croydon-ish was the primer to the rains to come.
We bimbled-along nicely, stopped for a cuppa somewhere and split into our 2 groups, team fast and team slow.

Team fast cracked-along quite nicely. I was doing a turn at the front somewhere around Gatwick when I noticed a lack of peleton (I'm not usually that fast). I waited, I called, I ducked under the landing 747's and after a while the group sans Adrian appeared.
Now, I wouldn't want to cast nasturtiums about our glorious organiser, but .... Adrian had suffered a recurrence of a recent back injury and thought it best to take the train home. A lame excuse clearly. Obviously m'lud, the impending deluge had nothing to do with his decision ;-)

Frank's already told the next bit and as you know with great doggedness and absolute stair-rods Bob and me made it to Brighton. En-route we stopped at a Petrol Station for facilities usage and got chatting to people in 2 Cadillacs that had shipped there cars over from Chicago for the event and a young couple from Switzerland, all soaked and all hugely excited by the whole event, even the Biblical rain.

After our F&C lunch, it was pretty dry. Bob was going to go to the station and I thought I would tackle the route home and enjoy the tailwind's free ride a while. It was about 1500hrs. We said our fond farewells. I started reasonably gently so as not to do battle with lunch a second time and after about 5 mins or so, Bob was with me once more and wanted to ride back as far as Crawley.
The rain fell again, we met team slow some 5 miles out and the Bromley contingent flying spectacularly in battle stations formation.

The wind did indeed give us a shove ... well me mostly, in this case Bob's recumbent was at a disadvantage. The rains fell, the sky darkened, our lights inadequate, but somehow we found Crawley station, and said goodbyes (again). I refuelled witha kit-kat!

Getting out of Crawley was a pain, the Garmin wanted to take me some convoluted route that in the dark was hard to follow. Eventually I grabbed the M23 by the neck and head-down give it the beans back to Coulsdon where I found the car at around 1920 ... it had obviously aged during the day. 95 miles on the clock. Not speedy but around 11 to 12 mph from memory moving average.

The M25 was blocked at Chersey (isn't it always?) and I arrived home just after 9.

A;ll in all, t'was a good day out! I loved the cars and the company. The rain didn't phase me. I've learned some more hard fought lessons to be put into practice on longer and harder rides to come.
As I drove back in the car it occurred to me that I felt 'good' just plain honest to goodness good - and that doesn't happen very often.

Thanks all

PS: will post some pictures when less knackered. Topcat - love 'em!

Last edited:
Top Bottom