La Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Watching the TV coverage of La Course - what great racing! It really brings home in a compelling way the fact that there really should be a Tour de France - or its equivalent - for women. The spectacle, the landscapes, the tactics, the racing - they're all every bit as good as that provided by the men's tour. The only difference, the fact that the women's peloton may be moving a few kilometres per hour slower than the men is unnoticeable irrelevance. Bring on a women's Tour.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I was discussing careers and the future and whatnot with my daughter. She talked about being an astronaut so I said if she really wanted to and worked at it, she might be able to. Then we talked about tennis as the Wimbledon men's final was on. She asked if girls can play. So at the grand old age of two she already knows that there are sports which women don't play at top level.

So with the football world cup and TdF on, this got me thinking. As things stand, there is more chance of her becoming commander of the international space station than there is of her competing at the top level of football, cycling or most other sports, tennis being a notable exception.

Something strikes me as a bit wrong about that.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Agreed!

And while I'm aware of the Giro Rosa - a full-fledged women's Tour de France would be a considerable step up in terms of cachet and equality. And would be well worth the watching. I enjoyed todays race more than I've enjoyed any of the tour thus far. It was brilliant.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Then we talked about tennis as the Wimbledon men's final was on. She asked if girls can play. So at the grand old age of two she already knows that there are sports which women don't play at top level.

So with the football world cup and TdF on, this got me thinking. As things stand, there is more chance of her becoming commander of the international space station than there is of her competing at the top level of football, cycling or most other sports, tennis being a notable exception.

I am confused - she could play at Wimbledon and with equal prize money to the men. In fact by being British she would be at an advantage as she more have more chance with a wild card entry. As for ISS, there are a lot fewer commanders of both sexes than there are top level sports women in the world.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am confused - she could play at Wimbledon and with equal prize money to the men. In fact by being British she would be at an advantage as she more have more chance with a wild card entry. As for ISS, there are a lot fewer commanders of both sexes than there are top level sports women in the world.
Women's top level is often very different from men's top level, so much so that I wouldn't consider them equivalent. Where were the women playing football in Russia? I didn't see any. And the whole point of the op is that La Course is very much a lesser event than the men's TdF.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Women's top level is often very different from men's top level, so much so that I wouldn't consider them equivalent. Where were the women playing football in Russia? I didn't see any.

You are a year too early, the Women's World Cup is in France next year.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You are a year too early, the Women's World Cup is in France next year.
And I'm sure it will be just as much a high profile event as the men's...

I was discussing careers and the future and whatnot with my daughter. She talked about being an astronaut so I said if she really wanted to and worked at it, she might be able to. Then we talked about tennis as the Wimbledon men's final was on. She asked if girls can play. So at the grand old age of two she already knows that there are sports which women don't play at top level.

I get your point but the terminology is confused. Top level of women's sport is the same as men's. The difference is in exposure and renumeration but don't confuse that with a lesser effort.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What has high profile got to do with with your daughters target to be 'at the top'?
She's two. She has no targets to speak of although she'd quite like to be a mermaid. But high profile means the presence of role models. If all she sees is men competing and no women then she'll think women can't do it. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

And there's money. The men earn a lot of money...

Fair enough, but that's not how your post reads.
Sorry. I honestly thought the phrase 'tennis being a notable exception' would have made it clear. I mentioned Wimbledon because that's what we were discussing when she brought up the subject of gender.

I get your point but the terminology is confused. Top level of women's sport is the same as men's. The difference is in exposure and renumeration but don't confuse that with a lesser effort.
That's kind of my point. She can put in as much effort as is humanly possible but will never experience what the men experience. In the case of the TdF she would not even get the chance to compete.

Top Bottom