La Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Sorry. I honestly thought the phrase 'tennis being a notable exception' would have made it clear.

Sorry. Reading failure on my part. Doh!

Cyclingnews today published the stark contrast in difference between men and women's cycling

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...e-differences-in-womens-and-mens-pro-cycling/

Minimum wage for a male rider on a Professional Continental team: €30,855
Minimum wage for a male rider on a WorldTour team: €38,115
Percentage of female riders earning less than €10,000: 50
Percentage of female riders in a professional team with no salary: 17
Percentage of women earning more than €40,000: 8
Percentage of female riders who have had to reimburse their teams for services like mechanical assistance, medical testing, travel costs to races, bikes, parts, accommodation, meals etc: 52
Percentage of female riders who have to work a second job in order to make ends meet: 52(iii)
Number of months Nicole Cooke's team failed to pay her salary in the run up to the 2012 Olympics: 3 (iv)
Brian Cookson's salary in 2013: £235,000
Pay cut he'd elected to take following McQuaid's presidency: 25%
Chris Froome's salary in 2016: £4m(v)

We still await suhdave's new womens team. Has it been five weeks yet

Year in which Dave Brailsford, then Performance Director at British Cycling as well as Manager of Team Sky, said the following about the need to support British women's road racing; "We are on the case, recent comments have not been falling on deaf ears and we have been thinking hard about it [...] Rather than just dive in I'm trying to hold everybody back just a little bit, maybe just four or five weeks, so that we can review everything properly and make sure we get this right first time. We are very well aware that there is a stark inequality between women's professional cycling and men's, so British Cycling, along with Sky as its key partner, have been looking at some structures to see how best we can support and develop these girls. There has never been a better time to be a talented young British rider": 2012(xiv)

I'll go out on a limb and say less likelihood of doping in a womans tour, I think ideally each sponsor should be forced to run both a male and female team, with each 'grand tour' alternating yearly as to which sex races, so one year the men would race the giro and the Vuelta and the women the tdef and say a tour of Britain, the next year vice versa.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bring on a women's Tour.
It'll be next June, assuming Brutish Cycling don't fark it further. There's a real opportunity for the Tour of Britain to become the second Women's Grand Tour now, before ASO gets its shoot together, but it seems like BC wants to avoid that.

I hope /, assume. Highlights package is on ITV4 tonight?
A whole one part of four :sad: For all their criticism of ASO's half-hearted attitude to La Course, ITV shoot on it in the highlights show every year too. They don't cover the Giro Rosa, so there's a lot of stories which have been untold since their coverage of the Women's Tour, so you could argue that just that one show on La Course day could have three parts of four full of UCIWWT interviews and the race coverage. The men's race was pretty uninteresting by comparison, unless you're French.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yep was rather hoping they could have done 2 shows, one for La course and then regular tdf show. La course was a pretty exciting race

Va Va Froome

Über Member
The highlights the other night with La Course is the first time I've watched coverage of women's cycling outside of the Olympics!
Only really watched because it was part of the Tour highlights show: great finish to the race!

Also, you couldn't help but smile at the Danish girl who was overwhelmed with her pleasant experience through the crowds, and solid race result to top it off!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The highlights the other night with La Course is the first time I've watched coverage of women's cycling outside of the Olympics!
Eurosport player is worth the subscription just for the women's cycling, which I find is often more entertaining than the men's. Smaller teams, and domestiques not as strong relative to the leaders means that team control is less effective, I think.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Cyclingnews today published the stark contrast in difference between men and women's cycling

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...e-differences-in-womens-and-mens-pro-cycling/

Minimum wage for a male rider on a Professional Continental team: €30,855
Minimum wage for a male rider on a WorldTour team: €38,115
Percentage of female riders earning less than €10,000: 50
Percentage of female riders in a professional team with no salary: 17
Percentage of women earning more than €40,000: 8
Percentage of female riders who have had to reimburse their teams for services like mechanical assistance, medical testing, travel costs to races, bikes, parts, accommodation, meals etc: 52
Percentage of female riders who have to work a second job in order to make ends meet: 52(iii)
Number of months Nicole Cooke's team failed to pay her salary in the run up to the 2012 Olympics: 3 (iv)
Brian Cookson's salary in 2013: £235,000
Pay cut he'd elected to take following McQuaid's presidency: 25%
Chris Froome's salary in 2016: £4m(v)

We still await suhdave's new womens team. Has it been five weeks yet

Year in which Dave Brailsford, then Performance Director at British Cycling as well as Manager of Team Sky, said the following about the need to support British women's road racing; "We are on the case, recent comments have not been falling on deaf ears and we have been thinking hard about it [...] Rather than just dive in I'm trying to hold everybody back just a little bit, maybe just four or five weeks, so that we can review everything properly and make sure we get this right first time. We are very well aware that there is a stark inequality between women's professional cycling and men's, so British Cycling, along with Sky as its key partner, have been looking at some structures to see how best we can support and develop these girls. There has never been a better time to be a talented young British rider": 2012(xiv)

It would be nice if there was some real apples with apples data to make it clear just how big the gap is that needs closing. So much if this is comparing apples with pears.

Jimidh

Veteran
The woman’s tour needs to find its own events rather than try to piggy back on the back of men’s events like The Tour as they will always be an afterthought and
receive less coverage.

The Womans Tour of Britain is a great example of an event that has the potential to create its own story and history and attract sponsors and coverage.

There is an opportunity for women’s cycling to develop its own events and grow TV coverage ( and sponsorship) from developing partnerships with Eurosport and other digital platforms.

I’m incredibly encouraged when I ride and see more women on the road and if this continues to grow then more companies will see that there may be an advantage to them sponsoring women’s cycling.

Top Bottom