La Vuelta 2013 (24 Aug - 15 Sept) **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
So, the minute the testing passes from ASO to USADA, Horner disappears from his corner?
It seems so, yes :thumbsup::becool:

But Radioshack is now saying Horner changed his whereabouts early enough and it was the testers who didn't check the whereabouts(system) correctly... I guess this discussion is going to be for some while continued (in the press)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So, the minute the testing passes from ASO to USADA, Horner disappears from his corner?

Was about to post something similar after reading the BBC news, just smells a bit iffy ??

Hont

Guru
The missed test would appear to be a storm in a teacup. Even if the testers didn't screw up (which current evidence suggests they did) one missed test does not carry any sanction.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
But Radioshack is now saying Horner changed his whereabouts early enough and it was the testers who didn't check the whereabouts(system) correctly...

Well, that should be easy enough to verify if - as the team claims - he received confirmation that the change had been approved.

I'm intrigued, though - when the testers turned up at the wrong hotel, did no one there know where he'd moved to? I mean, it's not like the Rasmussen case, when he wasn't even in the right country. Presumably he was only just down the road in a different hotel, so it shouldn't have been too hard to track him down.

Unless he was being deliberately evasive.

thom

____
Well, that should be easy enough to verify if - as the team claims - he received confirmation that the change had been approved.

I'm intrigued, though - when the testers turned up at the wrong hotel, did no one there know where he'd moved to? I mean, it's not like the Rasmussen case, when he wasn't even in the right country. Presumably he was only just down the road in a different hotel, so it shouldn't have been too hard to track him down.

Unless he was being deliberately evasive.
Coming so soon after the race, it is also hard to imagine they could take a sample that might reveal something that the in-race samples wouldn't.
Maybe the different testers have tests for newer things ? Is there an element of mis-trust between testers ?

Apparently this is Horner's stage 10 power data:

With 4.6km to the summit finish, Horner made his attack on the steep pitch to Alto de Hazallanas. He averaged over 390 watts in the final 4.5km with an average cadence of 73rpm at 18.3kph average speed.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Radio Shack have released his ADAMS email notification:

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/09/Chris-Horner-email.jpg

and if it's 3 strikes and your out.

Miss this one then retire.

Job done.

In the case of the UK's favourite female track star, it was a case of three strikes and everyone says "You're lovely" and "You're a national treasure".

Dear Christine missed three trests in a row for entirely understandable reasons and got faster and stronger because she trained harder.

I wish there was a little more trust in cycling, too.

thom

____
Coming so soon after the race, it is also hard to imagine they could take a sample that might reveal something that the in-race samples wouldn't.
Maybe the different testers have tests for newer things ? Is there an element of mis-trust between testers ?
Gossip from Twitter:
It appears USADA have tested Horner about 25 times in the past 18 months...
The non-missed test this morning would have been a UCI test requested by USADA so may well have been to look at his levels with regard to their blood profiling. ASO tests during the Vuelta I guess don't get sent to USADA ... ?

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Interesting to note the "one hour window" line in his email to them. I thought they'd got rid of that and the testers could now turn up at any time of the day.

Having read Tyler's Book and his explanation of "glow time", this does not inspire me with confidence.
surely thats more of a case of 'i will 100% be home at that time'. he cant be expected to be at one location 24hrs a day

Buddfox

Veteran

I don't see anything in that data which gives much cause for concern - for 15 minutes of activity, 6W/kg does not strike me as being 'not normal'. Also the missed test does appear to be a genuine screw-up by the Spanish doping authorities.

thom

____
I don't see anything in that data which gives much cause for concern - for 15 minutes of activity, 6W/kg does not strike me as being 'not normal'. Also the missed test does appear to be a genuine screw-up by the Spanish doping authorities.
That's kind of what I thought but... is it really accurate, what do the numbers look like for the latter stages & how does it compare to the others ?

On this climb I think he was also aided by a big tail wind. It should also be remembered that on one of the earlyish climbs, he was kind of cunning in that he got away and made a big time gap, best part of a minute, when nobody took him seriously.

Top Bottom