Lack of acorns.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Paulus, 29 Jul 2012.

1. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

This may be a trivial thing, but, around this part of South Hertfordshire the Oak trees all seem healthy, but there are no acorns at all on them. This will have an effect on some birds, particually Jays that eat them and of course squiralls this coming winter. Are the Oak trees devoid of acorns where you live? I'm just interested.

2. Norm

Norm Guest

Are acorns visible yet? They've got months before they are ripe, I wouldn't expect to see much yet.

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I think it's not going to be a great year for fruit generally - a lot of blosson was lost early on when the weather was all wrong....

4. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

My apple tree has only 2 apples on it - last year when we were viewing the house it was covered in fruit - in fact we pocketed 3 to try them and find out what they tasted like!! (it was a probate sale so house not occupied).

5. Gromit

Gromit Über Member

It happened in 2006 I think.

6. OP
    OP
    Paulus

There should be the small young ones on the trees now. Around here there is nothing.

7. OP
    OP
    Paulus

We have a mass of blackberry blossom and young berries here at the moment, maybe the wet weather will swell the berries for a bumper crop as long as we get some sun to ripen them off next month.

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I guess it might be tree blossom that suffered, not hedgerow. I don't think bramble and apple (for example) are in bloom at the same time.

It'll be interesting to see what the fruit trees on the reserve at work do - we have apple, pear, plum and cherry.

9. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

I've not noticed then on my Oak, but it doesn't seem too healthy this year, the leaves seem to be a bit shrivelled and drab and not the plump bright happy foliage I normally expect. I did cut it back fairly harshly at the beginning of the year and fear that might have had an impact.

10. djb1971

djb1971 Guru

The oak across from my house has no acorns but the rowans in the garden all have red berries already!!

11. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

Yes I have several Rowan trees and they are all covered in either red or orange berries already.

12. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

I've got some low-hanging fruit, getting riper by the hour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice