Lack of acorns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
This may be a trivial thing, but, around this part of South Hertfordshire the Oak trees all seem healthy, but there are no acorns at all on them. This will have an effect on some birds, particually Jays that eat them and of course squiralls this coming winter. Are the Oak trees devoid of acorns where you live? I'm just interested.

Norm

Are acorns visible yet? They've got months before they are ripe, I wouldn't expect to see much yet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it's not going to be a great year for fruit generally - a lot of blosson was lost early on when the weather was all wrong....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think it's not going to be a great year for fruit generally - a lot of blosson was lost early on when the weather was all wrong....
My apple tree has only 2 apples on it - last year when we were viewing the house it was covered in fruit - in fact we pocketed 3 to try them and find out what they tasted like!! (it was a probate sale so house not occupied).

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

We have a mass of blackberry blossom and young berries here at the moment, maybe the wet weather will swell the berries for a bumper crop as long as we get some sun to ripen them off next month.

Arch

Married to Night Train
We have a mass of blackberry blossom and young berries here at the moment, maybe the wet weather will swell the berries for a bumper crop as long as we get some sun to ripen them off next month.

I guess it might be tree blossom that suffered, not hedgerow. I don't think bramble and apple (for example) are in bloom at the same time.

It'll be interesting to see what the fruit trees on the reserve at work do - we have apple, pear, plum and cherry.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've not noticed then on my Oak, but it doesn't seem too healthy this year, the leaves seem to be a bit shrivelled and drab and not the plump bright happy foliage I normally expect. I did cut it back fairly harshly at the beginning of the year and fear that might have had an impact.

Top Bottom