Lack of mechanical sympathy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I recently sold my old ridgeback hybrid to my brother, it was a trusty (and fast) steed however road bikes called me!

I gave it a service and checked everything over as you do so it was spot on for him.

Ive borrowed it this week as I havent got a bike rack for my car yet and needed to travel to bristol for work and I swear all he has done is ride it!

I spent yesterday (and a full pack of babywipes and cotton buds) giving it a clean, getting all the sand out from the front deraillier, the chain was bone dry :eek: the cassette is stupidly worn (you can see where the rivets for the chain have started eating the metal) the cables are rusting, the brakes squeak and have masses of travel, along with being out of alignment slightly at the front, and the tyres are probably running 25 psi! I have spoken to him about it and his response was simply "it works good enough for me" I know he can be a tight fisted bugger sometimes but a £20 cassette and £15 for a chain wouldnt go amiss considering it is his main form of commuting transport. I have offered to fix it all for him when he comes to see me as hes having my old bike rack so he can bring it down to mine.

It pains me to see a bike I loved being treated like this! I will get a new bike rack so I can live in ignorance and not be forced to see it like this!

Rant mode off!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unfortunately mechanical sympathy is in very short supply; there aren't many people who have embraced the simple philosophy of maintenance. And it's not just maintenance of machinery, have a look at the condition of some people's houses and other possessions and you'll see what I mean.

Top Bottom