Lack of top 4 teams in FA Cup. Good or Bad?

Does the lack of 'decent' teams cheapen the FA Cup?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

• I'm a rugby toff so couldn't give a monkey's

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The best news I have heard this weekend is that Abramovich was "Incandescent with rage" at Chelsea's defeat.

He is a spoilt shoot who thought that he could buy championships and cups, only having to occassionally share them with the other superclubs while the plebs rolled over in the face of his team every week. It is great for the game that those without unlimited resources can still hold their own in a major competition.

on the road

Über Member
The FA cup has been downgraded by the big clubs by putting out their reserves in cup games, if the FA were to introduce big fines for clubs who sent out weakened teams in the FA cup then you'll soon have the FA cup dominated by the big four, the likes of Barnsley would never get anywhere near the quater finals.

Dave5N

Über Member
on the road said:
The FA cup has been downgraded by the big clubs by putting out their reserves in cup games, if the FA were to introduce big fines for clubs who sent out weakened teams in the FA cup then you'll soon have the FA cup dominated by the big four, the likes of Barnsley would never get anywhere near the quater finals.

Yeah yeah, but as has already been pointed out several times, that didn't happen this weekend.

simonali

Guru
mr_hippo said:
Let's pretend that my local club, Prescot Cables - currently 12th in the Unibond league - do extremely well next season...

Would your local club not be ineligible due to being in Thailand?

BTW, this poll needs a 4th option entitled couldn't give a toss!*

*I apologise if someone beat me to this punchline, but I lost the will to read any more after about post 4 and only looked in here out of boredom.

Bigtallfatbloke

It's good to see some of the smaller clubs getting through...that is what it's all about, more blood sweat and glory and less millionairres ...I am looking forward to it.

walker

on the road said:

Would never work, For starters all the top teams have around 22 international players anyway, so from there what is the weaker team?

I think its good that Barnsley and Cardiff have made it this far as both teams are on the brink of Administration so the extra revenue from this and next season when they make it to europe will help them alot

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Remember when the FA let Man United go off to South America for the benefit of their bank balance rather than take part in the magic of the FA Cup?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
United caused considerable controversy in 1999-2000 when they failed to enter the FA Cup, instead electing to take part in the inaugural FIFA Club World Championship, played in Brazil. United became the first FA Cup holders not to defend their title.
United claim to have been pressured by the Labour Government of the day, along with The FA, who felt that having English representation in the FIFA competition might assist an English attempt to host the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Whether this decision boosted the English Bid's chances is uncertain, but either way, the plan failed, and Germany was nominated as the World Cup Host Nation, beating South Africa into second place.
Unfortunately the quote is from Wikipedia The FA Cup since 1999
United asked for a bye to the next round but the FA would not allow this, United could have played a reserve side but this would have devalued the competition - in my never too humble opinion.

Top Bottom