Lacking stamina and strength

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_rc46

Why the hell am I finding it so bloody tough to build up the miles? Some days I really struggle on an 8miler and then other days the 30miler I do is a blast!
This cycling malarkey is frustrating......maybe I should sack it altogether and jump on the vfr for the stage 1 tdf in the spring :sad:

nethfel

Regular
Just out of curiosity, is it the same route you take (just an early turn back when doing 8) or completely different paths? I'm just wondering if there are more inclines or difficult terrain (or even worse roads) that could be affecting your ride?

I know for me at least I can go a lot farther on flats then even slight inclines which seem to kill my distance abilities (or lack thereof ;) )

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Various things can make cycling hard work. Before you go out have you eaten something and are you hydrated? Have you just finished work or the decorating so that you may a bit tired? All the little things in life can effect the motivation to get out there. Just get out there and do what you can, or what you feel like.

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

Just out of curiosity, is it the same route you take (just an early turn back when doing 8) or completely different paths? I'm just wondering if there are more inclines or difficult terrain (or even worse roads) that could be affecting your ride?

I know for me at least I can go a lot farther on flats then even slight inclines which seem to kill my distance abilities (or lack thereof ;) )
Its quite flat tbh I'm probably a defeatist at times, its just bloody annoying, thinking you're getting somewhere and the day after I'm lacking in all departments.

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

Nobody ever said that cycling was easy. The day you stop enjoying it is the day you will lose your motivation. We all have bad days but keep at it anyway as, after all, this is not a competition but simply a sport to enjoy at your own leisure and in your own time and at your own pace.:bicycle:
touché

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

Various things can make cycling hard work. Before you go out have you eaten something and are you hydrated? Have you just finished work or the decorating so that you may a bit tired? All the little things in life can effect the motivation to get out there. Just get out there and do what you can, or what you feel like.
99% of the time i ride after work and usually on not much food or water tbh, my thoughts were that its only a short distance ill be ok!

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you having rest days?

@andrew_rc46 you not been at it long Andrew, as others have said it takes time to get bike fit, to honest a few years as some of the body changes take time to change, you improve quite quickly to start then sort of plateau, then you get to a point your body can do what is asked no matter the conditions, but it doesn't come over night.
When I started I hated lots of things my lack of speed, hills that I hated but had to do to get home, now whilst my overall average speed isn't quick its fast enough, those same hills I might think the same as I did sometimes, but then I remember that whilst back then I crawled up in a very low gear these days well I just get on with it. No matter how tired or hungry.

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

@andrew_rc46 you not been at it long Andrew, as others have said it takes time to get bike fit, to honest a few years as some of the body changes take time to change, you improve quite quickly to start then sort of plateau, then you get to a point your body can do what is asked no matter the conditions, but it doesn't come over night.
When I started I hated lots of things my lack of speed, hills that I hated but had to do to get home, now whilst my overall average speed isn't quick its fast enough, those same hills I might think the same as I did sometimes, but then I remember that whilst back then I crawled up in a very low gear these days well I just get on with it. No matter how tired or hungry.
Thank you for encouragement :smile:

Learnincurve

I lack speed but I can keep going for hours. It's because I can walk for hours, the speed thing is very very slowly increasing with time. Month ago I was aiming for an average of 10mph (on gravel) now I am nearly at 11mph. My legs still hurt just as much though.

Top Bottom