Lacking stamina and strength

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
That's a long time - i can see why you've had enough!

Ditch it now before you start taking an interest in Leonard Cohen albums.
It must have been a long week :laugh:

@andrew_rc46 Maybe you are pushing yourself too hard to quickly.:bicycle:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
No need to be flippant!
I've been mtbing for years but only just bought a road bike!
15 years on the mtb, changed to road earlier this year, as you have found out it is a whole new way of cycling and a shock to the system, you are in a different riding position and using your muscles differently and takes a little while to get used to, but it will come if you stick at it

lesley_x

Über Member
Took me about 150 miles starting from scratch after illness and muscle sapping steroids to feel reasonably fit.

Also a change in lifestyle and mindset so any journey in commutable distance is done by bike, this really increased my days on the bike if not distance, and made my exercise much more regular.

It does get easier, stick with it!

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

15 years on the mtb, changed to road earlier this year, as you have found out it is a whole new way of cycling and a shock to the system, you are in a different riding position and using your muscles differently and takes a little while to get used to, but it will come if you stick at it
Ya right fella it truly is a shock to the physical, I really am loving it, I was maybe hoping for a more noticeable jump for the mtb , I have my goal and I won't stop (not even when I achieve it) :smile:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
As soon as you come to terms with "your not as fast as you think you are" then you will enjoy it, I have seen countless times people wanting to achieve the "impossible" for their ability and getting frustrated, spitting the dummy out and fast losing interest, take it steady and enjoy it, have a few little sprint sections while your stamina builds, some people are fast and most of us aren't. It's better to achieve lots of little goals than never achieving a big goal :thumbsup:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
N
As soon as you come to terms with "your not as fast as you think you are" then you will enjoy it, I have seen countless times people wanting to achieve the "impossible" for their ability and getting frustrated, spitting the dummy out and fast losing interest, take it steady and enjoy it, have a few little sprint sections while your stamina builds, some people are fast and most of us aren't. It's better to achieve lots of little goals than never achieving a big goal :thumbsup:

No harm in wanting to maximise your potential and to become faster. The secret is to remain patient and not to get frustrated when other cyclists whizz past you effortlessly!

You've only just started. I reckon it'll take a good two years before you'll be able to reach those kind of speeds comfortably, but you will eventually. Just keep at it!

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
N

No harm in wanting to maximise your potential and to become faster.....

I totally agree, When I first got my road bike I thought I was going to be way quicker than I actually turned out to be coming from mtb, but I have the aerodynamics of a double decker bus parked sideways into a headwind, I'm never going to be fast without a force 9 gale blowing behind me:giggle:.

Top Bottom