Lacquer for aluminium frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
In a post from May 2009, kyuss says that he used to use clear lacquer from Halfords but the alu would go dull eventually. He goes to say:

"Most powdercoaters can do a clear powdercoat though that would certainly stop rusting, but since it costs just as much as a regular powdercoat you'd be as well getting some colour unless you have a particularly beautiful frame with gorgeous brazing that's worth showing off. "

I would link his post directly but can't figure out how to do that...

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Baby oil, you say! Won't it just make sand stick to it? ;)

Thanks Frustruck - but powdercoating it would probably cost more than I paid for the frame...

tyred

Legendary Member
I would just use a clear lacquer aerosol from the motorfactors. Should cost ~£5, one should be enough. It is essential to make sure any oil, grease or metal polish has been removed from the frame before using this type of paint and use it in a well ventilated area.

02GF74

Über Member
to paint aluminium requires an etch primier - to provide a key or the paint else it will flake off. In your case you are usng in effect a clear paint so can't use etch primer.

you could try clear laquer from halfords or the stuff used on car alloy wheels, if different.

tyred

Legendary Member
I think you'd get away with it without an etch primer if the surface is "keyed" well and clean of all residual oil (you can get "panel wipes" to do this or else a clean cloth and paint thinners). Build up many thin coats rather than one or two big thick coats. A good paint job can't be rushed.

kyuss

Veteran
I'd be tempted to leave it. I polished up some cranks at the beginning of last year and initially clear coated them with a can of lacquer. Unfortuntately it wasn't enough to stop moisture and they still lost their shine after a couple of months. The clearcoat also made it a PITA to polish back up again.

I've just left them naked now which makes it much easier to shine back up. I give them a coat of carbuba wax to help slow down any oxidisation but they don't go dull that quickly anyway. 5 minutes with a rag and some autosol once a month keeps them looking blingy. I'd suggest the same routine if you're on a budget.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
kyuss said:
I'd be tempted to leave it. I polished up some cranks at the beginning of last year and initially clear coated them with a can of lacquer. Unfortuntately it wasn't enough to stop moisture and they still lost their shine after a couple of months. The clearcoat also made it a PITA to polish back up again.

I've just left them naked now which makes it much easier to shine back up. I give them a coat of carbuba wax to help slow down any oxidisation but they don't go dull that quickly anyway. 5 minutes with a rag and some autosol once a month keeps them looking blingy. I'd suggest the same routine if you're on a budget.

Thanks kyuss - I found your previous post after the tip-off from F.

Thanks all for your advice.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
MacB said:
so are we to be treated to a night ride vision of a mirror sparkling frame then?

Heh heh. Probably not this time around - I'm waiting for the forks to arrive from the States - they've been tracked to an unnamed depot in the UK but no sign yet of a calling card. Probably just as well as the gearing will be a bit high for Ditchling - this is going to be a leaner, nippier beast than the other one ;). Actually it'll probably be a fair-weather creature as well, so if the cat could get busy figuring out the next dry FNRttC...

Top Bottom