Ladies electric bike recommendation please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gatley lass

Über Member
Hello
I'm considering buying an electric bike so i can manage the journey fom Gatley to Alderley Edge ( busy with several hills ).
Any recomendations please ?

sight-pin

Veteran
Can't vouch for any ladies versions myself , which type e.g. Step through, MTB, Road bike type? @Pale Rider maybe can offer some advice as things like battery life v length of commute etc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Raleigh are offering money off all their models, ( as are lots of others), perhaps check them out. I also had an email from the a few weeks ago saying if you bought any bike (I think) you could return it within four weeks if you didn’t like it and the price would be refunded.
What sort of bike do you want, Dutch loop, mountain, road, hybrid bike? May help us narrow down our recommendations.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A quick google suggests the round trip will be about 16 miles.

That's good, because it's well within the range of even smaller ebike batteries.

Less good is your budget which is not going to get you anything other than a Chinese bike with basic components.

The various Carrera ebikes in Halfords ouught to be a good choice, but they seem to suffer from an unsolvable cutting out problem.

If it was my £1,000, I would spend it on something from either woosh or Kudos, both well-established brands, both UK based, and both have a good reputation for customer service.

Kudos will sell direct, or they have a handful of dealers.

Dave, who owns it, will usually send out a bike on approval to a serious inquirer.

You can only buy woosh bikes from Southend, so they are mostly direct sales.

The company is owned by Hatti, very pleasant woman who you might get to speak to if you lift the phone.

Other than that, have a look in some local bike shops.

Many now stock a few ebikes, although the cheaper ones may be a brand few of us would recognise.

Lots of choice of bike style on both these sites.

Don't rule out a 20" wheel bike, they are very handy in traffic, a bit easier to (wo)manhandle generally, and more than capable of bowling along for eight miles at a go.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/

http://kudoscycles.com/

OP
OP
Gatley lass

Gatley lass

Über Member
Hi Pale Rider
Thanks for your advice.

Do you think £100 is too little to spend or are the kudos and woosh bikes OK?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Kudos/woosh is as good as you wil get for £1,000.

Commuting is harsh use on any bike, but eight miles isn't that far.

Slightly better quality for usually a bit more money could be had from Wisper.

Owned by another Dave, except he gets David. but another genuine guy who makes a reasonable attempt to look after his customers.

@welsh dragon on here has a Wisper and is pleased with it.

Their 705 is a nice step-through, or there is a 20" wheel folder, not that you want to fold it.

https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/705-se-step-through/

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yes. As pale rider says, i have a wisper 806 torque. It is a folder. I love it. Well made and with 20 inch wheels it can go over most terrain. There are 2 battery sizes (not sure of the exaxt sizes) but the lowest powered one 375w will do approx 30 miles depending on how hilly the terrain. On flatter rides 40 miles would be doable i think. It also has Kenda puncture resistent tyres.

They quote a 50 mile range on the larger battery. As with all ebikes the mileage you can achieve will depend on the weight of the rider, the amount of assitance you use and how hilly your ride is. Wisper bikes are well made and stylish, and i always have people stopping me and asking me about my bike. I have had mine for about 18 months now and have had no problems with it at all.

David from Wisper bikes is also very nice gentleman and is always ready to help. I would rather pay a bit more for a better quality of bike.

I hope you find the one for you. Good luck.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Out of interest @Pale Rider are all motors mostly brushless now?

Yes, mostly.

Certainly all the bikes I've linked to have brushless motors.

The only other type of motor commonly available is a direct drive one.

Usually found on illegal over-powered kits and distinguishable by their large diameter, sometimes called pancake motors.

They have very little torque, so you need it to be 500w or 1,000w to get anywhere.

Even then it won't climb very well, but it will go fast on the flat once you've got it wound up.

A good thing about the Wisper bikes is the motor is very quiet, quieter than a Bosch crank drive bike which would cost a lot more.

Yes. As pale rider says, i have a wisper 806 torque. It is a folder. I love it. Well made and with 20 inch wheels it can go over most terrain. There are 2 battery sizes (not sure of the exaxt sizes) but the lowest powered one 375w will do approx 30 miles depending on how hilly the terrain. On flatter rides 40 miles would be doable i think. It also has Kenda puncture resistent tyres.

They quote a 50 mile range on the larger battery. As with all ebikes the mileage you can achieve will depend on the weight of the rider, the amount of assitance you use and how hilly your ride is. Wisper bikes are well made and stylish, and i always have people stopping me and asking me about my bike. I have had mine for about 18 months now and have had no problems with it at all.

David from Wisper bikes is also very nice gentleman and is always ready to help. I would rather pay a bit more for a better quality of bike.

I hope you find the one for you. Good luck.

Wise words from the Dragon about range, etc, and I reckon most Wisper owners are pleased with their bikes.

The OP could manage with the smaller battery on a Wisper, would which would make it a bit lighter and nicer to ride.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've no idea how good they are, but I got an email from Cycle Republic yesterday that included this, on offer at £500 (was £750):

000.JPG

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes...somerby-electric-bike-black-rose-gold-17.html (they've also got it in 19")

It states a range of "up to" 50 miles so should be more than enough for what you're looking for and is the traditional step through style.
Plus they've got stores where you and go and try one for size, and as part of Halfords if you're a British Cycling member you might get another 10% off (depending how the specific store apply the current rules...). You can probably get the same deal at Halfords too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Pendleton Somerby for that money is a good shout.

It has a Suntour motor, iike the Carreras, but a previous generation control system.

That's a good thing because it probably won't suffer from the cutting out problem which the Carreras do.

The mostly online retailers I've linked to do offer good service, but there's a lot to be said for buying an ebike from a local retailer to whom you can return it in the event of any niggles.

Top Bottom