1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ladies hybrid bike recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by PatrickPending, 26 Apr 2008.

1. PatrickPending

PatrickPending Veteran

Hi,

I said I'd look out for a hybrid for a girl at work - basically a flat barred ladies hybrid. As I have no ideas in this area I thought I'd ask for recommendations. She's moving to scotland so I'd suggest a triple (for those hills) flat bars, no suspension, budget £300-£500.

Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Thanks

Colin.

2. I'm a fan of the mega range on my Ridgeback velocity for the Scottish hills, I believe they do an open frame if that's what she's after. At £300 its a the bottom end of her budget.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Carrera Subway 1 comes in a women's spec. It's £200. My wife has one and loves it.

I think the Subway 2 might also now. It has disc brakes and a couple more extras.

They're both great bikes. From Halfords.

4. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Another vote for the ridgeback velocity. Mrs Attrick loves hers. It's well built and sturdy and ticks all the boxes.

5. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Dawes Discovery range. I rave about this range very often due to my own much loved hybrid, George!!!

6. Plax

Plax Veteran

I have a ladies GT Nomad Sport. Female fit geometry. It's a triple ring which I need up in North Wales (lots of hills to contend with on my commute, which will be the same in Scotland I'd have thought!). £300 new, and you can get the 2007 model a lot cheaper not in the sale e.g.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70237

7. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

My wife rides a Trek 7300FX (rigid fork), not an open frame but she likes it, they can be had for around £370, so is well with in budget. The 48/38/28 chainset is ideal for tackling Scottish hills, or just getting around Edinburgh...

8. byegad

byegad Guru

My wife's Discovery is a lovely bike. She bought the 201 a few years ago on an impulse. I rode it home 12 miles as she wasn't dressed for riding. I nearly went back for a Gents one for me.

9. snapper_37

snapper_37 Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child

Had 2 women 'specific' bikes and neither have been a patch on my now, unspecific one :rolleyes: IMO, any bike can fit (assuming it's the correct fit) men/women just as well. This widens the choice that much more.

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It depends on your size. If you're of the more petite variety, then there's a lot of value in having a shorter top tube and narrower bars. My wife is, and she finds her bike much easier and more comfortable than the standard one she had before.

If you're six feet tall however and have the same torso-to-leg ratio as a man then women's specific isn't going to be much use to you.

11. snapper_37

snapper_37 Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child

I know what your saying Mr P. I am only 5ft and a fag and my 'man's' bike is tops. I just chose the right size for me..... maybe I'm just a weird shape :rolleyes:

It's all about personal choice I guess.

12. Plax

Plax Veteran

I'm going to get a "gents" bike next, but purely because the Dawes Discovery 601 doesn't come in a female frame. I've ridden a few gents 20" bikes round Halfrauds and they've been suitable. But then I have 32" leg and long arms.

13. Kirst

Kirst Well-Known Member

I quite like my Revolution Streetfinder from Edinburgh Bicycle Coop, and a colleague just got a Giant women's hybrid from them and really likes it.