ladies hybrid bike recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Hi,

I said I'd look out for a hybrid for a girl at work - basically a flat barred ladies hybrid. As I have no ideas in this area I thought I'd ask for recommendations. She's moving to scotland so I'd suggest a triple (for those hills) flat bars, no suspension, budget £300-£500.

Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Thanks

Colin.

I'm a fan of the mega range on my Ridgeback velocity for the Scottish hills, I believe they do an open frame if that's what she's after. At £300 its a the bottom end of her budget.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My wife rides a Trek 7300FX (rigid fork), not an open frame but she likes it, they can be had for around £370, so is well with in budget. The 48/38/28 chainset is ideal for tackling Scottish hills, or just getting around Edinburgh...

byegad

Legendary Member
My wife's Discovery is a lovely bike. She bought the 201 a few years ago on an impulse. I rode it home 12 miles as she wasn't dressed for riding. I nearly went back for a Gents one for me.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Had 2 women 'specific' bikes and neither have been a patch on my now, unspecific one :rolleyes: IMO, any bike can fit (assuming it's the correct fit) men/women just as well. This widens the choice that much more.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I know what your saying Mr P. I am only 5ft and a fag and my 'man's' bike is tops. I just chose the right size for me..... maybe I'm just a weird shape :rolleyes:

It's all about personal choice I guess.

Plax

Guru
It depends on your size. If you're of the more petite variety, then there's a lot of value in having a shorter top tube and narrower bars. My wife is, and she finds her bike much easier and more comfortable than the standard one she had before.

If you're six feet tall however and have the same torso-to-leg ratio as a man then women's specific isn't going to be much use to you.

I'm going to get a "gents" bike next, but purely because the Dawes Discovery 601 doesn't come in a female frame. I've ridden a few gents 20" bikes round Halfrauds and they've been suitable. But then I have 32" leg and long arms.

Kirst

I quite like my Revolution Streetfinder from Edinburgh Bicycle Coop, and a colleague just got a Giant women's hybrid from them and really likes it.

Top Bottom