Ladies saddle advice :( Help ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB2210

Any lady cyclists tried the Adamo saddle? I have tried loads of saddles including women's specific ones .... Selle .... Charge....prolongo.... Bontrager ....to name a few .... I am a road cyclist I spend lots of time on the drops, my bum is fine ;) ...... Unfortunately my lady bits are in agony :blush: (sorry guys) .... I've tried loads of chafing creams ... But I'm more bruised than chafed (sorry again) surely I'm not the only female cyclist who is feeling the same... Tried two pairs of shorts ... Nothing helps :sad: I really love cycling but as soon as I do any runs longer than 20 miles ... I'm in agony ... :cry: I'm only thinking of the adamo due to the total cut out front thinking maybe it will help ..... Anyone offer any advice ?

theloafer

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
Better quality shorts? Have you also checked the saddle angle? Sounds like you might be leaning too far forwards into the drops, possibly with the saddle at a disadvantageous angle? Is the bike the right size and set up? How is it riding the hoods?

buggi

Bird Saviour
have you actually had your pelvic sit bones measured? my ladybits suffered for 3 years before i found out you could do that! it was like sitting on a cushion after. If you're not sitting on your sit bones, you are sitting on everything in between!

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

have you actually had your pelvic sit bones measured? my ladybits suffered for 3 years before i found out you could do that! it was like sitting on a cushion after. If you're not sitting on your sit bones, you are sitting on everything in between!

Yip I think I'm sitting on everything else just so sore ... Never been measured, what difference does that make?

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

Better quality shorts? Have you also checked the saddle angle? Sounds like you might be leaning too far forwards into the drops, possibly with the saddle at a disadvantageous angle? Is the bike the right size and set up? How is it riding the hoods?

I've got a range of shorts and my bike size is fine, still sore on the hoods but not as bad .... I read that maybe the saddle could be pointed slightly down as opposed to straight as is set at the moment ...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've got a range of shorts and my bike size is fine, still sore on the hoods but not as bad .... I read that maybe the saddle could be pointed slightly down as opposed to straight as is set at the moment ...

Level is the starting point, but the general finding seems to be matters can be improved for men by tilting the saddle back a little, and for women by tilting it forward.

Try a forward tilt first, but if that doesn't work, there's no harm tilting it backwards.

I did a backward tilt on one of my saddles recently and was surprised how much difference it made for such a small adjustment.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Yip I think I'm sitting on everything else just so sore ... Never been measured, what difference does that make?
Well if you're not sitting on your sit bones you are basically sitting on all the soft tissue in between. Google skeleton and look at those two pointy bits at the bottom of the pelvis. Those are your sit bones. If you're not sitting on them, your sitting on your best china! it will make sense when you look at the picture.

So go to a reputable LBS and ask them to measure your sit bones and then get a saddle to fit. you're talking around £30 for a new saddle (and some will take your old saddle as trade in if it's in good nick). Not all LBS's do it but those that sell Bontraguer saddles or Specialized will probably do it. The new saddle will only likely to be 1 or 2cm wider but ... trust... that extra cm is heaven!

They measure it by sitting you on a pad with your feet up for a few seconds. when you get off the pad, there will be a mark where your sit bones are. don't worry, no tape measure is going to be wrapped around your ass. LOL

As said, point the nose down slightly, enough to counteract the nose coming up slightly when your weight is on the saddle. The LBS will fit it for you anyway.

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

Level is the starting point, but the general finding seems to be matters can be improved for men by tilting the saddle back a little, and for women by tilting it forward.

Try a forward tilt first, but if that doesn't work, there's no harm tilting it backwards.

I did a backward tilt on one of my saddles recently and was surprised how much difference it made for such a small adjustment.

Thanks x willing to try anything

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

Well if you're not sitting on your sit bones you are basically sitting on all the soft tissue in between. Google skeleton and look at those two pointy bits at the bottom of the pelvis. Those are your sit bones. If you're not sitting on them, your sitting on your best china! it will make sense when you look at the picture.

So go to a reputable LBS and ask them to measure your sit bones and then get a saddle to fit. you're talking around £30 for a new saddle (and some will take your old saddle as trade in if it's in good nick). Not all LBS's do it but those that sell Bontraguer saddles or Specialized will probably do it. The new saddle will only likely to be 1 or 2cm wider but ... trust... that extra cm is heaven!

They measure it by sitting you on a pad with your feet up for a few seconds. when you get off the pad, there will be a mark where your sit bones are. don't worry, no tape measure is going to be wrapped around your ass. LOL

As said, point the nose down slightly, enough to counteract the nose coming up slightly when your weight is on the saddle. The LBS will fit it for you anyway.

Laughing at 'your best China' I like that :laugh: but it is agony x I will have a look around and see if I can find a place that does it, would make such a difference x

vickster

Legendary Member
You can also measure the sit home width yourself by sitting on a piece of tin foil on the stairs in your cycling shorts

Try tilting your saddle first as suggested

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

You can also measure the sit home width yourself by sitting on a piece of tin foil on the stairs in your cycling shorts

Try tilting your saddle first as suggested

That's great x will try the saddle first and keep everything crossed :blush:

Top Bottom