Ladies saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I currently have the original Bontrager saddle on my road bike. It's comfortable for shorter rides, but now I'm starting to get to 2 hours or longer, I'm starting to get a bit sore. I'm not sure why. I wonder if it's possibly a bit wide.

Does anyone have any recommendations of saddles that are good for longer rides?

vickster

Legendary Member
I did 40 miles on this on my road bike - way further than I had ever ridden before and my rear end was generally ok http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/25393/4ZA-Stratos-Ladies-Saddle-White/

I have a cheaper Bontrager saddle on my hybrid and that is ok but shorter distances http://www.saddlesafari.co.uk/shop/gbu0-prodshow/BontragerNebulaPlusWSDSaddleWomens.html

I have also had a Specialized women's saddle too which was fine, can't remember what one though.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
A lot of women seem to get on well with the Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow, myself included. A few people on here also use the Selle Italia Diva, which looks a little bit more streamlined.

I also like Terry saddles, but they seem difficult to get hold of outside of the USA (and are made by the same company as Selle Italia, so are very similar).

Most saddles sell quite well second-hand if you end up with one you don't like - it took me three attempts before I found a saddle that really suited me.

There's a thread here with some tips on measuring the width of your sit bones to give you an idea of how wide a saddle you might like.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
So, I've just tried the kitchen foil thing (which was quite fun because we don't have carpeted stairs here, so I put a towel on them to imitate carpet, then the kitchen foil stuck to me!) Once I'd flattened the foil out again, there were 2 dips, each about 2cm across. The distance from middle to middle of the dips was 13cm (130mm).

Did I do it correctly? And how does that translate into buying the correct saddle? (130mm sit bones = what width saddle?)

That 4ZA Stratos saddle looks nice.

I've also looked at the Selle Italia saddles and I've noticed that they're very well reviewed.

One thing that has occured to me is that my current saddle is quite "plush" so my sit bones could be sinking into it too much. (The main problem I'm having is sore girly bits!)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Lulubel, I think your measurement sounds right -If you were to buy a specialized BG - they I think you'd be the 134 (or is it 136?) size.

I seem to be having constant trouble with saddles.

I think they're comfortable and then inevitably a bit longer into rides and it just doesn't work out - I really need to devote more time to trying to tweak measurements. Very frustrating as it's just annoying.

That said on the Salsa- I got a well broken in Specialized 143 BG Jett saddle on it which was very comfortable but I'll have to see how it fares- I think I had a 150 odd one that seemed to annoy me.

It's a long and sometimes expensive journey.

Selle Italia ones..I'm not so sure for me personally but still have a couple hanging around the house. I suspect that it may well be down to saddle having to be shunted forward slightly for the Carradice saddlebag due to a small frame- doesn't explain the discomfort on the carbon bike though. I do know that something is not right with the setup though as I get sore neck and shoulders on longer rides on that bike - it's definitely indicative of incorrect saddle set up.

I just need to be a bit more obsessive about sorting it out-too laid back these days!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Sounds as if you did it right. Think when I tried this method I lifted my knees so I could feel my sit bones digging into the foil a bit. Tried the Specialized bum-o-meter recently and it agreed I was using the correct width of saddle so the low-tech approach must have something going for it!

The Spesh chart says the width will vary depending on the angle you sit at - looks as if you'll want something between 143 - 155mm.

My sit bones are 140mm and the Selle Italia is 160mm. My road bike has a narrower Terry saddle which is also comfortable, so bears out the Spesh theory.

A squashy saddle will cause discomfort for your lady bits as the more you sink into it, the more it will chafe over time...

Sadly I don't think there's anything in the saddle library that might fit the bill otherwise I'd stick it in the post for you!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Baggy, what's happening with the saddle library at present?

Thanks for the correction re sit bone widths.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Selle Italia ones..I'm not so sure for me personally but still have a couple hanging around the house. I suspect that it may well be down to saddle having to be shunted forward slightly for the Carradice saddlebag due to a small frame- doesn't explain the discomfort on the carbon bike though. I do know that something is not right with the setup though as I get sore neck and shoulders on longer rides on that bike - it's definitely indicative of incorrect saddle set up.
As an aside...sorry lulubel for the thread hijack...
Recently had a BG bike fit, 5 hours of the bike (and me!) being tweaked. I thought the set-up of my bike was ok, but the guy made quite a few minor changes, including setting my saddle flat again (it was nose-up) and fitted a new set of compact drop bars, which has brought the hoods 1cm closer.

First long ride with new set-up was 70 miles - no pain in or between my shoulders, knees are feeling *much* better, and didn't even think about the saddle once!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
As an aside...sorry lulubel for the thread hijack...
Recently had a BG bike fit, 5 hours of the bike (and me!) being tweaked. I thought the set-up of my bike was ok, but the guy made quite a few minor changes, including setting my saddle flat again (it was nose-up) and fitted a new set of compact drop bars, which has brought the hoods 1cm closer.

First long ride with new set-up was 70 miles - no pain in or between my shoulders, knees are feeling *much* better, and didn't even think about the saddle once!

I am envious...I am currently undergoing some negotiations re photography with a frame builder..going to see once he's back in the country whether he can look at this for me.

Will see (to be honest, I can't really justify spending more on bikes at the moment)
Though the salsa seems very comfy at the moment.
I've heard from bike fitters that the saddle should really be on the flat and not tilted up or down.

Sounds like it was worth it!
cool.gif

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
The Spesh chart says the width will vary depending on the angle you sit at - looks as if you'll want something between 143 - 155mm.

A squashy saddle will cause discomfort for your lady bits as the more you sink into it, the more it will chafe over time...

Thanks. I was wondering if my current saddle was both too wide and too soft.

I'm wondering about a Fizik Vesta or might that be taking firm support too far? (I've seen people saying Fizik saddles are quite hard.) I've checked on their site, and it's 150mm wide, so about in the middle of my range.

I would say your current one is definitely too soft. If you find something that might be a little hard off the bike, you might find it comfortable when riding - I know this sounds counter-intuitive! Both my neighbour, who was very worried about this prior to a gentle tour in your part of the world a few months ago, and Mrs Shadow discovered this recently.

Do you have a helpful LBS? Some LBSs have spare saddles which you can try till you find one that is comfortable.

Top Bottom