Ladies who lunch (and ride a bike!).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Oh dear! Just before christmas a very horrible man rear ended me in my car - it was an old banger and has been written off - unfortunately I can't afford to buy a new car so I am now mostly reliant upon the bike, though will be able to use OH's car for doing big shop if I time it right.

Until now I've mostly used bike for getting to work, as I change into uniform I'm not generally bothered what I look like on the bike,but now I need something that I can wear over my usual clothes that it waterproof, looks stylish and is comfy to cycle in.

Any suggestions?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It depends on how far you've got to cycle. If I've got an appointment in town, I'll ride the 7 miles in my normal clothes, sometimes with padded shorts under my jeans, depending on how I'm feeling.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I'm up for wearing normal clothes - but I haven't got a rain coat that can double up as cycle wear and look ok for being out shopping, with friends etc.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've got a bog standard waterproof jacket that I can cycle in if need be. It's nowhere near as breathable as my cycling jacket but has done the trick quite nicely on several rainy days.

I had 1 1/2 + 3 mile cycle on my folder, working in the city. I used to go fully kitted for work and one day I got rained on so hard that I couldn't have been wetter if I'd fallen in the river. And I was wearing a suit. So I went and purchased one of thesehttp://www.bobbinonline.co.uk/epages/rzjy48f9ghvy.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/rzjy48f9ghvy/Products/CLOT01/SubProducts/CLOT01-0001

It does the job beautifully, and my clothes are always dry. Slows my cycling right down, which isn't a big problem if it's a short distance, and helmet is required if you want to use the hood and still have peripheral vision.

However, it's beyond old-ladyish. It's pure Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple:

arcatiBicycle.jpg

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Hmmmm..... not really the "lady that lunches" look I'm after!

To be quite honest, look at the range of outdoor gear that is available.

These companies recognised that "smart travelling" was required and have lts of clothing that is smart enough to wear, but technical enough to deal with the weather

Crag hoppers is often available at low prices, and the styles are variable to suit your personal taste

Once you have established your look ten you can diversify

Top Bottom