Lady commuters forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I know we have beginners sections, sections for road and general commuting, the cafe etc. I had a thought just now... women represent the lowest numbers of cycle commuters, even cyclists in general so perhaps a woman's forum might be in order?

What does everyone think? As a man when I'm out on the bike I do notice its generally a sausage-fest out there:laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
downfader said:
I know we have beginners sections, sections for road and general commuting, the cafe etc. I had a thought just now... women represent the lowest numbers of cycle commuters, even cyclists in general so perhaps a woman's forum might be in order?

What does everyone think? As a man when I'm out on the bike I do notice its generally a sausage-fest out there:laugh:

nice idea.

so long as it didn't become a target for the less sexually enlightened amongst us

Cathryn

Legendary Member
As someone who never really ventures into this commuting forum and as a gal, I just wanted to say to Downfader, thanks for the thought. You're right that very few women commute. I personally live too close to work to commute by bike, it would take me longer than walking (although I'm on maternity at the mo so don't officially go to work).

There was originally a women's section on Cyclechat when we all defected from bikeradar and very quickly it became redundant. Us girls generally felt welcome and comfortable on the rest of the forum and we didn't feel we needed a specific section. Questions of a female nature (clothing, bikes, mooncups etc) just go up as any other query would.

However it's not 'piffle' (lovely word) and anything that gets more women cycling and commuting by bike is a good thing!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Very considerate of you downfader, but I'm not sure that women will feel that they need their own sub-forum.

Most cyclist issues affect both genders, and as Cathryn says, there's only limited women-specific issues.

D-Rider

Indeed, as female cycle commuter I can see the good intentions but can't really think of any need for a seperate forum. Besides, the lads would all lurk in there anyway!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I agree with my fellow sisters in cycling. By and large, the things that women need to know or want to talk about, are the same as the men. Our needs are little different - indeed, I gather that these days even the idea of our differently proportioned bodies is becoming less important, as people discover that both sexes have bodies of all shapes.

The forum is meant to be (and by and large is) a friendly place for all, men and women, and I think we do pretty well - I'm sure the relative proportions of the sexes on here are pretty representative of the proportion who cycle - in fact women may be better represented here than they are in the more sporting parts of the cycling world...

I don't think the forum can increase the number of women taking up cycling - by the time they find us, they've started to make the choice. The main thing is to treat everyone with friendliness and helpfulness, the more cyclists the merier, whatever their sex.

Arch

Married to Night Train
:biggrin::evil:

Plax

Guru
Please, no! They'd just start going on about those mooncup thingies anyway.

We do that anyway! :biggrin:

Good idea, but not really needed. Perhaps a sticky on the beginners board rather than a board itself? Once they've lurked a bit and got the feel for the board I'm pretty sure most women will quite happily post about lady things on the applicable board.

buggi

Bird Saviour
As a woman, yes on the one hand, i can see your point, it would be a nice if it encouraged women but on the other hand, as said, the men will just hang round in there anyhow and if they didn't, well, you could lose some valuable advice (OMG did i just say that?... i meant valuable drivvle) :ohmy:

it's a nice thought but we have a beginners section, so women won't be shy to join in anyway.

dub-no-bass

downfader said:
a sausage-fest

ahahahahah!! I just spat tea all over my keyboard.

I like the idea, but I fear without the all-important testosterone it will be a stream of posts saying "I had a thoroughly uneventful and pleasant ride today and didn't have an altercation with anyone, for the 5th year running"

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would say one thing...from the measure of responses that I have seen on this thread...a female Section would seem to be a much more polite and considerate place to hang out...

So, for my interests alone (ever the chivalrous one)...can we have one please!! ;)

Top Bottom