Lake district passes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaBeach

Hi everyone,
I was in the lake district last week and did a cycle ride incorperating 3 passes (the Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter). Thought I'd put together a little document detailing my experince of each pass for those wanting ideas if they are ever in the area. Also, I would love people to say other passes in the lakes I need to try (I know of the Hardknott but little else) when I'm next up there,
Thank You

Attachments

• 3 pass ride (lakes).pdf
    595.8 KB · Views: 12

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi everyone,
I was in the lake district last week and did a cycle ride incorperating 3 passes (the Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter). Thought I'd put together a little document detailing my experince of each pass for those wanting ideas if they are ever in the area. Also, I would love people to say other passes in the lakes I need to try (I know of the Hardknott but little else) when I'm next up there,
Thank You
Hardknott and Wrynose follow each other.

iluvmybike

Über Member
There is the Kirkstone Pass ( known as 'The Struggle') from Ambleside to Ullswater.
Kiln Bank Pass - small road pass between Broughton Mills and Dunnerdale
Birker Fell Pass - links Eskdale with lower Dunnerdale

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Having recently returned from the Lakes I was envious of those cycling Honister as I drove the 'van over it to go on a mine climb.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
For those attempting Honister pass, if you're going through Seatoller look for the broken car brake disk melted into the tarmac just before the road starts rising.

Just over ten years ago, I used to regularly work in Honister ghyll and would park the mini bus in Seatoller, before walking up to the ghyll past the disk, so as long as the roads not been re-surfaced in the interim, it should still be there.

dodgy

I'll hold my hand up. I don't enjoy cycling in the Lakes. Sorry.
I do from time to time ride up to Grasmere from Wirral, it's a lovely route. But once I get there I put the bike away for a week. Roads are narrow, too many cars, but I'll be honest what the real reason is - the climbs are so bloody steep! It's a slog. I have ridden many of the climbs there, including by far the hardest imo being the double act of Wrynose and Hardknott pass.
I've done a fair bit of riding in the French Alps and it's far easier and pleasant imo.
However, if you're a racing snake or just like pain, the Lakes is great. I wish I was as fit as I was many years ago to truly enjoy it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
@ dodgy I tend to agree! I’m just about in day ride distance but rarely go in the central lakes. There are terrific routes around the edge eg Mosedale, north of Blencathra, Lyth Valley, and some areas like the east side of Coniston that are fantastic . But in general the gradients tend to be severe and the narrow roads full of cars. Now the Dales…!

Not “named passes” but I recommend any visitor to ride:
Fell Foot Brow(“Gummers How”)
https://veloviewer.com/segment/969446/Fell+Foot+Brow
Birker Fell road, the best climb you’ve never heard of and the way I would choose to get from the Duddon Valley (Ulpha) to Eskdale before the overrated Hardnott Pass, at least as far as scenery goes.
Time to spare? Head south out of the Lake District slightly (politics made the planners exclude it) and ride the Kirby Moor road from Ulverston to Kirby in Furness.

OP
OP
D

DaBeach

I'll hold my hand up. I don't enjoy cycling in the Lakes. Sorry.
I do from time to time ride up to Grasmere from Wirral, it's a lovely route. But once I get there I put the bike away for a week. Roads are narrow, too many cars, but I'll be honest what the real reason is - the climbs are so bloody steep! It's a slog. I have ridden many of the climbs there, including by far the hardest imo being the double act of Wrynose and Hardknott pass.
I've done a fair bit of riding in the French Alps and it's far easier and pleasant imo.
However, if you're a racing snake or just like pain, the Lakes is great. I wish I was as fit as I was many years ago to truly enjoy it.
Interesting to here your opinion on this - would love to ride the alps if I get to go travelling at some point

OP
OP
D

DaBeach

Not “named passes” but I recommend any visitor to ride:
Fell Foot Brow(“Gummers How”)
https://veloviewer.com/segment/969446/Fell+Foot+Brow
Birker Fell road, the best climb you’ve never heard of and the way I would choose to get from the Duddon Valley (Ulpha) to Eskdale before the overrated Hardnott Pass, at least as far as scenery goes.
Time to spare? Head south out of the Lake District slightly (politics made the planners exclude it) and ride the Kirby Moor road from Ulverston to Kirby in Furness.
thanks for these great ideas!

OP
OP
D

DaBeach

There is the Kirkstone Pass ( known as 'The Struggle') from Ambleside to Ullswater.
Kiln Bank Pass - small road pass between Broughton Mills and Dunnerdale
Birker Fell Pass - links Eskdale with lower Dunnerdale
I have just remembered seeing the struggle on the tour of britain at some point, and it did look good then

dodgy

The Struggle isn't Kirkstone pass, it's just the shortcut that gets you part way up Kirkstone Pass.
Kirkstone pass solid red, Struggle dashed red.
1630743979816.png

Top Bottom