Lakes Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've just had another nice week away with Doug and Gavgav so thought I'd revive this thread yet again for the reports so as not to mix them in with the current ones in "your ride today".

We were staying just outside Coniston again (a favourite spot) and got in four rides this time starting off gently on the Sunday with a ride round the lake. This time Doug has a new drivetrain on his bike with lower gearing so he immediately found it easier on the first climb of the day from Coniston Hall up to Torver. This is good as he has ridden comparitively little this year and certainly not much hilly stuff.

The road section to Water Yeat was fine although I was unsure about a Land Rover which hooted as it passed - they gave plenty of room though and Gav got a wave so I think it was intended to be friendly.

There were a few riders coming the other way as we went down the lane to High Nibthwaite (again, all very friendly) then we turned towards Brantwood. This bit is up and down but there is more up the further north you go.;)

We had a brief stop at the Bluebird Cafe (it was cold sat outside - a trend that unfortunately was to continue) before heading back to the house making it 15.2 miles for the round trip - a very nice way to start the holiday.

DSC0002306.jpg

Made a new friend on the way to Torver.

DSC0002307.jpg

DSC0002309.jpg

Overcast and cool - not the conditions I'd hoped for in June, but I love the place anyway.^_^

DSC0002310.jpg

A candid snap at a photo/cake stop just after Brantwood.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ride 2: This didn't start as planned with me finding the back tyre of my bike almost flat when I got the bikes out.:dry: I pulled the tube out and checked it over but couldn't find any leak so suspected the valve which was a bit loose when checked. Tube refitted, we headed off to climb Hawkshead Hill which may not be big as Lake District hills go but is no pushover, especially for those who haven't done the mileage. We take the longer but quieter way (past Atkinson Ground) and once again the new gearing did the trick and Doug got up without stopping ('til the junction that is) for the first time.:thumbsup:

Over the other side we again dropped onto the quieter lanes, then into Hawkshead and round the eastern side of Esthwaite Water to Near Sawrey where there was a mini-bus load of Japanese tourists snapping away round the entrance to Hill Top as usual.

Doug and Gav went on as I took my own photos and I enjoyed the catching them up on the short run to Far Sawrey where we turned off towards High Cunsey (which is at the bottom of the hill ;)). Further along this road is a deceptively steep climb and we passed a couple on this. The chap was obviously a keen cyclist but his lady friend wasn't and was off and walking. I couldn't help noticing she was in a quite inappropriate gear for the hill.

From Graythwaite Hall the trend is downhill for a while. I was playing catch-up again having stopped to put a rear light on and had a bit of a moment when a car pulled out from a side road ahead and the driver just stopped across the road when she saw me.:ohmy: Hearing another car coming up fast from behind I thought it best to scoot past the stopped one and let them get on with it.

At Lakeside we paused for lunch and had a gull give a floor show as it stood on one leg and did various stretches with its wings. Gav said it looked like a ballet dancer exercising and he wasn't wrong.:laugh:

Moving on, there is another climb away from Newby Bridge on a road that is usually quiet but wasn't today. Looking through the trees we could just see that the A590 was almost at a standstill the other side of the valley, which would explain it (that road is notorious for accidents) so we were quite glad to turn away up the Rusland Valley. We headed up to Rusland then curved round south again for Oxen Park (it's hillier this side of the valley) before trying a road we haven't ventured on before (Bessy Bank Lane - quite steep for tired legs) which brought us out on near Lowick Bridge. We still had about 8 miles to go which was around Coniston Water the same way we went last ride, although there was more interest in getting back to the cottage than having a cafe stop this time.

While Doug and Gav went to shower and change I had another look at my bike and with the aid of a bowl of water found the tiniest of pin-holes in the tube, which of course has been fixed.

33 more miles to the tally and a good day out.

DSC0002312.jpg

Approaching the summit of Hawkshead Hill. Doug seems pleased about something.:whistle:

DSC0002314.jpg

DSC0002318.jpg
Near Sawrey

DSC0002323.jpg

Lakeside

DSC0002326.jpg

We got there in time to see Swan depart.

DSC0002329.jpg

Looking up the Rusland Valley (this is one of the bits most tourists don't see).

DSC0002330.jpg

Further off the tourist trails at Bandrake Head

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ride 3: Slightly less mileage today but still energetic on a tour over to Elterwater and up Great Langdale. For this one we took the NCN route which avoids the main Coniston to Ambleside road but is on a fairly rough path. The only real issue was when we met a school group headed the other way. They were stopped at the time and one of the girls dropped her bike right in front of Doug. He passed the test with some very quick reactions though and no harm was done (apart from one very red face :laugh:).

There are two roads up the Tilberthwaite valley and we took the westerly one that goes through High Tilberthwaite. There are good views on this side as there are fewer trees. Eventually the road passes through a farm yard and becomes a track that as mentioned last time has been nicely surfaced with fine gravel. Gav left Doug and I standing on the descent the other side - he seemed to be having fun but I was a little more wary of the surface.

In Little Langdale we rejoined the tarmac heading for Elterwater via some quite welcome downhill sections (of course someone is going to have to ride back up that.

We didn't stop at Elterwater this time but continued up through Chapel Stile and into Great Langdale, pausing only for photos. I still can't believe that I'd never been up here until about 3 years ago so the scenery still impresses me. We rode as far as the road goes up the valley before pausing to have some lunch and to test out my ants nest detection skills - I still have the knack.;) (By inadvertently standing on it for those who are wondering what I'm on about).

Just here we were practically at the foot of the pass to Little Langdale via Blea Tarn. Doug and Gav did this last time so weren't keen to go again but I quite fancied the climb so after a bit of discussion it was agreed that we'd meet up again at The Three Shires Inn.

This is a good steep one from this side (25%) but by plodding at it I got up in one and enjoyed the views at the top before continuing down the other side and to the pub where Doug and Gav were nowhere in sight (to be expected really as my route was about 2.5 miles shorter). I waited a bit then thought they'd probably appreciate it if there was a pint of something ready.

Pints supped, we continued back towards Coniston via Hodge Close this time which as has been mentioned on previous occasions is quite a climb, not helped by the beer & cider that had been consumed.:blush:

The following downhill was worth it though and we were back in our stride for the gravel path back to Coniston. On the way back to the cottage we passed that school group again returning from their ride. A wide berth was given this time.:whistle:

20.7 miles for me. Doug and Gav did 23.2

DSC0002333.jpg

DSC0002334.jpg

Climbing up the Tilberthwaite valley.

DSC0002337.jpg

Seen outside Wainwrights Inn, Chapel Stile. Made us laugh.

DSC0002338.jpg

Roadside hazards in the village.

DSC0002345.jpg

Great Langdale.

DSC0002348.jpg

Riding up the valley to our lunch stop.

DSC0002354.jpg

We've seperated now and I've got to the top of the Blea Tarn climb.

DSC0002358.jpg

One with the tarn in.

DSC0002367.jpg

We've had our pub stop and are on the way to Hodge Close. Doug gives the wheels wot I built a good test.

DSC0002373.jpg

A rest up at the top.

One more to come but I'll write that up later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For the fourth and final ride of this week we went off to try something new: Gav has a book of Lake District rides and had picked out one starting in Lindale and exploring mostly quiet roads up to Staveley and back.

We loaded the bikes on the car and drove over there, finding some on street parking (easy to do when you're away from the tourist honeypots), then started off the ride along the nicely named "Back o' th' Fell Road". The route starts off on gentle grades up the western side of the Winstervalley before crossing over and starting to climb a bit. We joined a gated road, which is a bit of a novelty as it's something you don't see often elsewhere (although I have come across a couple in Shropshire) and turned right at the next junction where it became more hilly.

On this road we passed Witherslack Hall (now a boarding school) which is a very impressive building then after a nice fast downhill came up against a blockage where a damaged telegraph pole was being replaced and there was little room to pass the contractors vehicles. They allowed us to squeeze through on the bikes though.

Shortly after this we realised there was a problem when the signs for the village of Witherslack came up. We'd turned right one junction too early and had gone about two miles in completely the opposite direction to that intended - oops. Retrace steps, have a laugh about it with the workmen as we carry the bikes over their telegraph pole (and are quietly amused by the irate drivers sat the other side of the blockage and expecting it to suddenly be shifted out of their way :rolleyes:) and back up the hill to the junction we go. Heading the right way now the route starts getting quite lumpy as we go north. There are some nice views though - not as nice as other parts of the area but still worth experiencing.:okay:

We had out lunch stop at the side of the road near Tarnside then continued on along Broom Lane towards Crook. There's some serious climbing along here which doesn't really come over on the map so it was nice to eventually have the long downhill into Staveley.

I suggested Wilf's Cafe, but with the time going on and only being halfway it was decided to carry on. The next section to Ings is the flattest bit on the route but is a path alongside a busy road and was against the wind. Have I mentioned the wind yet? It was quite strong, blustery and cool - not at all like June even for the Lake District.

From Ings we knew we had the biggest climb on the route up another gated road to, and through Borwick Fold. I rode part of this section about five years ago and was surprised to find ice cream for sale at one of the farms hidden away down these quiet lanes (made on site). I'd hoped that they would still be doing this but passing the farm entrance there were no signs out to suggest they were so we had to continue without.:sad:

We'd crested the highest part of the ride so there were some good fast sections to follow, but still quite a few climbs left as well. Jelly babies were opened near Gilpin Mill then we had to negotiate a slightly confusing section where the junction we wanted didn't necessarily start off going in the obvious direction (I notice that by this point, navigation had been passed over to me :whistle:)

A very short main road section followed (very little traffic though) before we were onto the last lot of lanes taking us back a different way to the outward journey and finally onto easier going terrain. It was well into the afternoon by now and with the sun out and sheltered from the wind it was quite pleasant. Would have been nice if it had been like that earlier.:rolleyes:

35.5 miles and our best average of the week at 10 mph.

My phone had some issues today and ran the battery flat less than 24 hours after charging (it usually lasts at least a week) meaning I only got a couple of photos:

DSC0002379.jpg

On the gated lane about 5 miles into the ride.

DSC0002380.jpg

Witherslack Hall

To make up for the lack of photos on this ride, here are a few odd ones from the rest of the week:

DSC0002305.jpg

Customers! Taken at the Drunken Duck Inn (no, really)

DSC0002363.jpg

Sheep crossing. From the Great Langdale ride.

DSC0002385.jpg

Heading up Ullswater.

DSC0002393.jpg

A short walk up the hill near Howtown.

DSC0002401.jpg

"I've got a 3G signal!" :tongue:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
For the fourth and final ride of this week we went off to try something new: Gav has a book of Lake District rides and had picked out one starting in Lindale and exploring mostly quiet roads up to Staveley and back.

We loaded the bikes on the car and drove over there, finding some on street parking (easy to do when you're away from the tourist honeypots), then started off the ride along the nicely named "Back o' th' Fell Road". The route starts off on gentle grades up the western side of the Winstervalley before crossing over and starting to climb a bit. We joined a gated road, which is a bit of a novelty as it's something you don't see often elsewhere (although I have come across a couple in Shropshire) and turned right at the next junction where it became more hilly.

On this road we passed Witherslack Hall (now a boarding school) which is a very impressive building then after a nice fast downhill came up against a blockage where a damaged telegraph pole was being replaced and there was little room to pass the contractors vehicles. They allowed us to squeeze through on the bikes though.

Shortly after this we realised there was a problem when the signs for the village of Witherslack came up. We'd turned right one junction too early and had gone about two miles in completely the opposite direction to that intended - oops. Retrace steps, have a laugh about it with the workmen as we carry the bikes over their telegraph pole (and are quietly amused by the irate drivers sat the other side of the blockage and expecting it to suddenly be shifted out of their way :rolleyes:) and back up the hill to the junction we go. Heading the right way now the route starts getting quite lumpy as we go north. There are some nice views though - not as nice as other parts of the area but still worth experiencing.:okay:

We had out lunch stop at the side of the road near Tarnside then continued on along Broom Lane towards Crook. There's some serious climbing along here which doesn't really come over on the map so it was nice to eventually have the long downhill into Staveley.

I suggested Wilf's Cafe, but with the time going on and only being halfway it was decided to carry on. The next section to Ings is the flattest bit on the route but is a path alongside a busy road and was against the wind. Have I mentioned the wind yet? It was quite strong, blustery and cool - not at all like June even for the Lake District.

From Ings we knew we had the biggest climb on the route up another gated road to, and through Borwick Fold. I rode part of this section about five years ago and was surprised to find ice cream for sale at one of the farms hidden away down these quiet lanes (made on site). I'd hoped that they would still be doing this but passing the farm entrance there were no signs out to suggest they were so we had to continue without.:sad:

We'd crested the highest part of the ride so there were some good fast sections to follow, but still quite a few climbs left as well. Jelly babies were opened near Gilpin Mill then we had to negotiate a slightly confusing section where the junction we wanted didn't necessarily start off going in the obvious direction (I notice that by this point, navigation had been passed over to me :whistle:)

A very short main road section followed (very little traffic though) before we were onto the last lot of lanes taking us back a different way to the outward journey and finally onto easier going terrain. It was well into the afternoon by now and with the sun out and sheltered from the wind it was quite pleasant. Would have been nice if it had been like that earlier.:rolleyes:

35.5 miles and our best average of the week at 10 mph.

My phone had some issues today and ran the battery flat less than 24 hours after charging (it usually lasts at least a week) meaning I only got a couple of photos:

View attachment 93272
On the gated lane about 5 miles into the ride.

View attachment 93273
Witherslack Hall

To make up for the lack of photos on this ride, here are a few odd ones from the rest of the week:

View attachment 93275
Customers! Taken at the Drunken Duck Inn (no, really)

View attachment 93276
Sheep crossing. From the Great Langdale ride.

View attachment 93277
Heading up Ullswater.

View attachment 93278
A short walk up the hill near Howtown.

View attachment 93279
"I've got a 3G signal!" :tongue:
Next time you are up this way drop me a line it would be nice to meet up for a ride with you gents. I live five mins away from Back o' th' fell road, it's on a few of my regular routes. Looks like you had a good time in the lakes again.

puffinbilly

Veteran
Great write up @Rickshaw Phil of a lot of places I know well - I spend a lot of time in Coniston and Broughton in Furness - there's some excellent cycling to be had over the high road from Coniston to Broughton Mills and up the Duddon valley.
The climb up Hawkshead Hill is a good work out - even more so from the Hawkshead side - I've done it from Hawkshead three times in the past couple of years and each time had the bus crawling up behind me till he can find a suitable place to pass.
More than a little envious at the minute - not getting across to the Lakes much at all due to family commitments - so great to read about your trip.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Good stuff Phil. Your pics and write-ups make me want to go back to the lakes. It's been a long time, in fact it was probably when I failed to ride up Hardknott at the end of the Fred Whitton!

Top Bottom