Lakes Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Great pictures and report, Phil, thanks for posting!
Poor Doug, dragged up another hill! :laugh:
I do live in a nice place your pictures remind me of its beauty
Fascinating thread and pictures, Phil :thumbsup:
Thanks everyone.:thanks:

It's a beautiful area and I'd quite happily live there if I could (anyone looking for an administrator/Cytech 2 qualified cycle mechanic?;))

There are a couple more installments from this trip to come which I shall write up forthwith.

Nearly there

Veteran
If you haven't already have a crack at newlands pass and honister passes from both sides

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After the last one a rest day was called for during which we went round the shops and Ghyllside Cycles sorted us with a replacement for a screw that had gone missing from one of Gav's pedals.

On the Wednesday therefore we got bikes loaded onto the car and headed for new (to us) cycling grounds up in Keswick. The plan this time was to follow a route from a guide book around Skiddaw & Blencathra.

The guide suggested parking at the leisure centre which we headed for to find signs stating patrons only and the neighbouring carpark on the old station is a maximum stay of 4 hours, so not much more help. Fortunately we found a free space on the street round the corner, so problem solved.

The ride took us out on the former railway line to start with, crossing and recrossing the River Greta up the pretty valley before ejecting us onto the path alongside the A66 (smoother surface but not pretty). Having had tea first thing and no stops since loading the car a pit stop was needed which we found in Threlkeld where there is a nice looking cafe with public loos alongside.:thumbsup: (The place doesn't seem to be badly off for pubs either).

There was a near miss here when Gav swung his foot round to mount his bike and connected with somewhere soft about my person.:blink: Fortunately not hard and it was more comical than anything.

Leaving Threlkeld you ride on an abandoned section of the old A66 before rejoining the new road and leaving it again at Scales to ride a gated lane and the start of some wild and wonderful looking country. Along this section Gav spotted a red squirrel and we saw sheep being driven off the fells.

We had a pause for drink and cake at Mungrisdale then continued northwards onto wide quiet lanes. There were more sheep up here but being driven along the road this time which caused a bit of a hold up.

These roads are obviously popular with cyclists as we saw plenty around and the towns of Hesket Newmarket and Caldbeck are pretty without being touristy.

We had our lunch by the bridge in Whelpo then climbed up onto the wild and epic looking Ellerbeck Common and Aughertree Fell before turing off towards Longlands and Orthwaite. The scenery round here reminds me a lot of the Scottish Highlands only smaller. Another visit will be called for I think.:thumbsup:

On the way Gav commented on the broken bits of a car headlamp on the road and asked Doug if he thought the car had hit a sheep. "Must've been rammed" was Doug's response.:laugh:

On the descent into Longlands, Gav lost one of his water bottles at speed (brand new and unused of course :rolleyes:). Fortunately Doug was able to retrieve it and it just suffered scuffs. I'd gone ahead at this point and realising that no one was catching me up had got worried that something bad had happened. Gav came into sight just as I'd decided to turn back.

We continued through Bassenthwaite and eventually had to join the A591 for a section. This wasn't too bad with the drivers behaving themselves pretty well. I had put both my rear lights on though so this may have helped. There was one guy who didn't seem to be paying attention though - he missed a couple of good chances to overtake, then missed his gears when he did go past. Are we bad for having sniggered at him?:unsure:

The last bit of the suggested route took us off this road and through Applethwaite, which seemed to go up an awful long way but then seemed a disappointingly short descent the other side.

Gav reckons that this was the best ride he's done with Doug and I. It's certainly some of the most epic scenery I've been through with him. A good ride and I'd recommend it.

32.8 miles and 11 mph average. An improvement.

DSC0001578.jpg

One of the Coast to Coast markers - we were following the route for part of the way.

DSC0001580.jpg

Gav on one of the crossings of the River Greta.

DSC0001582.jpg

Tunnel on the railway path.
DSC0001587.jpg

Sheep being brought off the fells

DSC0001592.jpg

And a few more being driven up the road. This could take a while.

DSC0001601.jpg

Nice place for a lunch stop.

DSC0001604.jpg

Roads that seem to just stretch on forever.

DSC0001607.jpg

Farmhouse at Orthwaite.

DSC0001608.jpg

Lots of mist over the mountains today.

DSC0001610.jpg

On the way to Bassenthwaite this seemed a shocking contrast to the lush woodland we'd been riding through moments before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For the last ride of this week we headed to some familiar roads to do an old favourite - a loop of Coniston Water. We headed south out of Elterwater and into Little Langdale where there was more traffic than we're used to seeing, with not as much patience. It was therefore a pleasure to head off the lanes and onto the path leading to High Tilberthwaite (As opposed to the path up to Hodge Close). This has been resurfaced - fairly recently by the looks - and was a pleasure to ride on, especially as the surface improved as we went along.

Doug was worried that his legs wouldn't cope with the full ride after everything we've done this week, but fortunately they eased up after about five miles.

After passing through Coniston town, we passed the house we often stay at (out of nosiness - there was someone in residence) then dropped down to Coniston Hall and followed the path along the shore. Along here Gav was stopped to check a voicemail on his phone when he noticed a wasp had landed on his leg. He kicked out to shake it off - only to hit his shin on the pedal of the bike. Ouch! The TCP I always carry since my big crash got some use.

The climb through the campsite and up to Torver didn't seem as big as it used to so it wasn't long before we were enjoying the fast descent to the lake shore.

After passing through Water Yeat and High Nibthwaite we stopped for lunch by the shore where the view was idyllic with the sunshine and the calm surface of the lake. A chap and his son were launching canoes and were soon followed by a couple with an inflatable dinghy. Wish I'd brought my boat.

Continuing, we passed Brantwood and started on the big climb of the day up Hawkshead Hill. I'm pleased to say that Doug and Gav both made it up the climb with the only stop being at the junction with the main road.

The descent was obviously going to be plain sailing..... only it wasn't, with Gav's chain coming off shortly after the Tarn Hows junction. I was able to unjam and refit it and all was well again.

Being our last day we couldn't resist the Drunken Duck again so a pint each was sampled before we rode the last few miles. The stop didn't help the legs much so it was a leisurely ride back.

Today's total 26.2 miles and 10 mph average.

We've been really blessed with the weather this week - warm, dry and often sunny which certainly helped us rack up the mileage and the 123 miles we did through this week (according to my figures - Strava says a little more) is a personal best for both Gav and Doug.^_^

DSC0001614.jpg

On the Little Langdale to Coniston path - great new surface.:thumbsup:

DSC0001615.jpg

Looking up at Coniston Old Man from Coniston Hall.

DSC0001618.jpg

Calm, sunny and warm - it felt more like June than September.

DSC0001620.jpg

Teepees on the camp site.

DSC0001622.jpg

The view from our lunch spot and my last photo of the week as the battery went flat.

Last edited:

Squid lips

Nice pics you were very lucky you missed the patented Cumbrian horizontal rain ^_^
I'm lucky to live in this neck of the woods,and to be honest we take it for granted
I notice you pics didn't have the usual sight of the tourists all in a line across the route in matching gortex lol
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit you'all come back now

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Part 4: Hardknott and Wrynose. This is a ride I've wanted to do for quite a while and didn't expect Doug and Gav to join me, however as the plan was to start in Eskdale and ride back to Hawkshead, they and Jenny (my sister) drove me over and gave moral support (and reassuring backup)while I did the hilly bits.:thumbsup:

I drove over that in the car on Friday (accidentally - ****ing Satnav). You are certifiably mad!

thecube

Great pics, I was in the lakes last week and managed the Wynrose, Hardknott (one way), Blea tarn, kirkstone, Stuggle, Honister and Newlands passes. All great fun, not so sure about some of the decents mind! Sad to be back home.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nice pics you were very lucky you missed the patented Cumbrian horizontal rain ^_^
I'm lucky to live in this neck of the woods,and to be honest we take it for granted
I notice you pics didn't have the usual sight of the tourists all in a line across the route in matching gortex lol

So true - my mate and I spend a lot of time in the mountains and, as a general rule, the more 'hardcore' walkers/climbers are wonderfully uncoordinated on the dress front as they generally just buy what works in whatever colour is available (although you'd choose your favourite if it was) whereas the day trippers/tourists are usually beautifully coordinated.

They also tend to be either spectacularly under equipped or laden down with everything including the kitchen sink. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been a regular visitor to the area for 25 years now (where did that time go?:ohmy:) so have seen a pretty good selection of Lakeland weather ;) ranging from hot enough to melt the tar and all the markings on the roads :heat:, to frost and deep snow.:cold:

Personally the rain that I find distinctive to the Lake District is that heavy drizzle which doesn't look bad but will soak you through in no time.:laugh:

I'm pleased to say Goretex was notable by its absence during the week just gone.:thumbsup:

I drove over that in the car on Friday (accidentally - ****ing Satnav). You are certifiably mad!
:thanks: I aim to please. :giggle:

Great pics, I was in the lakes last week and managed the Wynrose, Hardknott (one way), Blea tarn, kirkstone, Stuggle, Honister and Newlands passes. All great fun, not so sure about some of the decents mind! Sad to be back home.
Chapeau!:highfive: I shall get round to tackling Wrynose and Hardknott from that side some time. The other climbs are on the list too but I shall be doing them on my own I suspect.;)

I didn't want to come home either.:cry:

Squid lips

To true spokey have been on helvelyn in October and seen people in crocs and trainers :eek: Wandering around and you get M R T risking themselves getting these idiots of the tops

Top Bottom