Lakes Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
excellent write up phil :thumbsup: done most of those climbs and you brought back some great memories photos were great ....also Hardknott is my fav climb
and agree Wrynose hurts the legs after climbing Hardknott and the Blea tarn road is stunning

View attachment 28045
Lunch stop on Glebe Road - looking up Windermere with another steam launch in Bowness Bay.

"Edward's Whippet," Elliot Bay triple in a 30' (ish) GRP hull, Another launch that "can certainly shift."

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
Part 4: Hardknott and Wrynose. This is a ride I've wanted to do for quite a while and didn't expect Doug and Gav to join me, however as the plan was to start in Eskdale and ride back to Hawkshead, they and Jenny (my sister) drove me over and gave moral support (and reassuring backup)while I did the hilly bits.:thumbsup:
Blimey, I was knackered when I DROVE over Wrynose and Hardknott - You're as 'ard as nails! Well done!

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Blimey, I was knackered when I DROVE over Wrynose and Hardknott - You're as 'ard as nails! Well done!
Thankyou.:thanks: It was the fulfilment of a long held ambition. I've been visiting the area for years and have driven over there countless times but riding it was really special (as well as really hard work :laugh:).

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well, I've been off to the Lakes again this week with @gavgav and Doug. We had some (mostly) decent weather and got a few more rides in.

It was a stay just outside Coniston this time so the first ride of the week was a tour round Coniston Water. The forecast for our first day there wasn't great so we got out early to try and beat the weather. Sure enough it was dry when we got the bikes out but had started to drizzle as we were about to set off. We weren't going to back out at this stage so dropped down to Coniston Hall and picked up the path to Torver. This route climbs quite well so we weren't quick (especially as Doug hasn't done much cycling through the winter) and the top of this first climb was a very welcome sight.

From Tover we joined the main road which starts off with a short bit of climbing before you are on to a long sweeping descent to the lake shore. This was fun ^_^ despite the rain that was coming down well by now.:rain:

The road becomes much more undulating until the turn off at Water Yeat and the road to High Nibthwaite. It was properly raining now, but I was glad to see that Gav and Doug seemed to be enjoying it nonetheless. Just as well as the road gets more undulating as you go north past Brantwood.

Having gone round the top end of the lake (enjoying the steep bit of downhill from How Head) we made use of the cycle path to head back towards Coniston. This has been resurfaced and is like riding on a washboard, so we were soon back on the road - no big deal today as there wasn't much traffic.

Finally we joined the path to Coniston Hall before returning wet but happy to the cottage, where the bikes had a good wipe down and I discovered that my waterproof trousers aren't any more. (Dougs were about the same).

I measured 14.5 miles at 9.5 average.

DSC0000362.jpg
A damp view towards Torver

DSC0000363.jpg
A moody view over Coniston Water.

DSC0000364.jpg
It may be cold and wet out but we don't care and are actually quite enjoying the ride.

We rode to Elterwater next. More to follow........

Attachments

• DSC0000360.jpg
    DSC0000360.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The next day dawned much brighter so we dragged the still pretty wet bikes out to ride over to Elterwater. The first step was to do the reverse of yesterday's route in the direction of How Head before climbing up to High Cross and then dropping down to Barngates and Skelwith Bridge. The climb to High Cross is a long slog, especially for riders who haven't been out much over the winter but after passing another rider who'd had to get off and push, there were soon triumphant smiles at the summit before the nice long descent started.^_^

As far as Skelwith Bridge the ride had gone pretty smoothly - on the path to Elterwater it didn't go to plan though. First thing was a little niggle with a couple of walkers who returned Gav's greeting by looking him up and down and putting their noses in the air (like something out of a cartoon really:wacko: but it spoiled the mood slightly). At the next gate another walker said "you won't stay that clean for long", which we took as being a bit of banter - we realised our mistake quarter of a mile further on when someone warned us that they'd sunk to their shins in a harmless looking muddy patch. Not being able to go round due to the boggy ground I had to go for it and found that they weren't exaggerating :ohmy:. I got through but the brakes were binding badly due to the mud. There was a small crowd of walkers to watch and I heard a gasp and a cheer from behind me as Gav came through. Turning, I saw Doug in the middle and only just keeping his balance. Both he and Gav had dipped feet in the mud, but Gav had come out of it worst and had wet feet.

After rinsing mud off feet and bikes we continued to The Britannia Inn at Elterwater where a pint each was most welcome.

We took a small detour up to Chapel Stile next - just to have a look at the place - then headed from Elterwater towards Little Langdale. This road eventually goes to Wrynose and Hardknott passes and even the early climbs are no pushover, so Doug was starting to flag a bit and was glad when we turned off. We were now on the rough, and in places steep, bridleway that leads to Hodge Close and ended up riding through yet more pools of water - cleaned a bit more of the mud off at least.:thumbsup: The name doesn't suggest it, but this is an old slate quarry that has a certain fascinating quality as it looks as though you've walked onto the set from a fantasy film. Worth a look if you are passing by.

Finally we were on the last leg. We had a long, fun descent from Hodge Close and followed the cycle path into Coniston. With it being sunny the thought of a hot drink by the lake was quite appealing so we ended up stopping at the Bluebird Cafe down by the shore before heading back to the cottage.

Just over 20 miles this trip at 8.3 mph average. Sounds slow, but considering the terrain I think Doug and Gav did pretty well.:thumbsup:

DSC0000366.jpg
At High Cross - the top of the first and biggest climb of the day.

DSC0000367.jpg
Looking back the way we've just come - there's still snow on top of Coniston Old Man.

DSC0000370.jpg
On the path to Elterwater - we weren't expecting the decent quality gravel path to have a muddy crater halfway along.:wacko:

DSC0000371.jpg
Further along the path the views are fantastic. Apologies for it being lopsided - still getting used to a new phone camera.

DSC0000375.jpg
In Little Langdale - Doug is doing well despite being as tired as he looks.

DSC0000378.jpg
Hodge Close. You get a sense of the scale of the old workings when you realise we are looking down on a mature fir tree.

DSC0000383.jpg

Also at Hodge Close with its slightly surreal feeling landscape.

DSC0000385.jpg

Drinks at the Bluebird Cafe have been earned.

DSC0000387.jpg
I'll stay here at the cafe and look at this view the rest of the afternoon, thanks.

There is more, which will follow in due course......

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Part 3: The weather was great again on Tuesday and Doug and Gav were keen to make the most of it so we headed out for a longer ride this time. The planned route was out to Torver and down to High Nibthwaite then south to Spark Bridge and across to Bouth before heading north to Force Forge, Satterthwaite, Grizedale visitor centre, |Moor Top, High Cross and back down into Coniston.

Although it was a nice sunny day there was a bit of a wind which was annoying but didn't seem to slow Doug and Gav very much. There were quite a few cyclists out this time which was nice and most seemed pretty friendly. Despite this being the third ride in as many days, we managed the hills okay as far as Spark Bridge and particularly enjoyed the couple of fast downhill sections they led to. I recorded 29mph down one of them ^_^ but I know Doug and Gav were both faster.

By the time we reached Bouth the hill climbs were getting a bit slower and a pause for a bite to eat was called for. This section of the national park is off the usual tourist trail but is great cycling country (in my opinion - other opinions are available from our group:whistle:) if you want to get away from the crowds.

The climb past Force Forge was the usual slow plod that we always do and the sight of Satterthwaite was very welcome, especially as there is a nice pub here (The Eagles Head - walkers, muddy cyclists and muddy dogs welcome according to the "A" board outside). A pint each and some chips revived our spirits and we continued to the visitor centre - which was closed. Just as well we were aiming for the pub rather than the cafe.

The climb to Moor Top is a long drag but on this ascent, Doug (who'd been flagging on most of the hills so far) found his second wind, overtaking Gav.

I'd promised an easier, if not as direct, route than we usually use to High Cross but the way we went didn't seem to meet with a lot of approval. Looking at the map I'm certain that it involves less climbing, but I did take a wrong turn so it was a bit further than intended.:shy: The views over Coniston and the fells were fantastic though.

After finally reaching High Cross it was time for the drop into Coniston using the back road (same way we climbed the hill yesterday). Last time Doug and Gav descended this way, Doug got his bike into a tank-slapper and came off at about 25mph :ohmy:(fortunately suffering nothing worse than bruising and bad gravel rash). We were therefore a little more cautious this time and everyone made it down safe.

Today we had no option but to use the road into town as the cycle path was closed due to one of the bridges having no deck. It was fine when we left it, honest.

Another stop at the Bluebird Cafe was very nice before heading back to the house.

26.3 miles this time with an 8.8 mph average.

DSC0000390.jpg
The view from the house before we set out. Another lovely day.

DSC0000394.jpg
By the side of Coniston with Peel Island (AKA Wildcat Island from Swallows and Amazons) in shot.

DSC0000397.jpg
We've just passed Lowick Bridge on the way to Spark Bridge.

DSC0000398.jpg

On the lanes between Bouth and Force Forge.

DSC0000401.jpg
Grizedale, by the visitor centre.

DSC0000404.jpg
Up in the forest now and the scenery is epic.

DSC0000405.jpg
I've dragged them up a few big climbs today but there are still smiles - can't have been as bad as all that.:thumbsup:

DSC0000407.jpg
Looking at Coniston Old Man from one of the viewpoints. The village is just visible at the foot of the mountain.

DSC0000408.jpg
I had to get a shot of my bike with that scenery.

One more ride left to describe which will follow shortly.

Top Bottom