Lakes Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

y2blade

dsc01806-jpg.28017.jpg

hpim1299-edit-jpg.28024.jpg

Drink and cake stop - looking up at how far I still have to go!.

Fair play to you guys...MissB and I were in the same area a few weeks back, did 300miles driving about up there.
Looked a bit steep to cycle though.

Same spots you were at in the above pics?
025295_zps528aebba.jpg

025264_zps92773c9e.jpg

Stunning place, MissB and I will probably be going back next year...might even take the bikes!

Great thread, thanks for sharing your experiences

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Fair play to you guys...MissB and I were in the same area a few weeks back, did 300miles driving about up there.
Looked a bit steep to cycle though.
Not that many years ago I'd have said it was too hilly to cycle. I used to look at Hawkshead Hill and think; there's no way I'd be able to ride up that. I've got fitter since then and understand gearing properly - it appears that a 28 front, 24 rear isn't the super climbing gear that I used to believe it was.:laugh:

Same spots you were at in the above pics?
025295_zps528aebba.jpg

025264_zps92773c9e.jpg
You're right, those are the same places.:thumbsup:.

It was Friday. We were down at the jetty about 10.30 while she was still being steamed up and polished. We did see her again later on out on the lake so you'd probably have been aboard by then.

If you saw her later going south past Bowness, Martin (the owner ) would have been on the engine and boiler while I was steering, normally we take her down past the ferry before letting the newbies loose with a run down to Fell Foot for ice cream and pop, then turning back up to Ambleside for chippy supper and beer.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
If you saw her later going south past Bowness, Martin (the owner ) would have been on the engine and boiler while I was steering, normally we take her down past the ferry before letting the newbies loose with a run down to Fell Foot for ice cream and pop, then turning back up to Ambleside for chippy supper and beer.

If you ever hear Hover complain about being overworked...

toeknee

Über Member
What an amazing write up and pictures, really enjoyed looking at that, and it has ignited the fires in me to take up
Touring, and see our beautiful country in the flesh.. Thanks phil & co....!
Just one question, what were the bikes you all used on this trip, just for future reference really.!

Thanks

Tony

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What an amazing write up and pictures, really enjoyed looking at that, and it has ignited the fires in me to take up
Touring, and see our beautiful country in the flesh.. Thanks phil & co....!
Just one question, what were the bikes you all used on this trip, just for future reference really.!

Thanks

Tony
I'm glad you like.:thumbsup: The Lake District is a fab place to cycle, but a wide range of gears is handy to make it all accessable.

Bike-wise, the list is as follows:
Gavgav used a Cube LTD CLS Pro, which is very well equipped for an extremely reasonable price. His was probably the best suited to the mix of on and off road conditions.
Doug has a Trek 7.1FX. This was better suited to the road sections really, but Doug managed to ride everything that Gav and I did and the bike has survived all the rough bits.
Mine is a heavily modified Hawk Trakatak. The cheap wheels (now replaced) needed truing during the fortnight, but otherwise there were no problems and the gear set up (non-standard 28-38-48 chainset and 13-34 Sunrace freewheel) was just right for the serious climbs.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Great account, I'm gonna have to pop down to Windermere area on thursday and have a ride about :biggrin:

I used to live in Wray Castle quite a few years back when it was a Merchant Marine college and all I had to get me about was a green road bike. I would ride up to Hawkshead, then rip down to the ferry and come back around the road via Ambleside.. Ahhh, happy times :biggrin:

Top Bottom