Lancaster Lady, 42 years old :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blondie73

Regular
Hello everyone. I am more of a gentle bike ride lady sticking to cycle paths away from roads. I take my time and I am often overtaken by young pups on their racers! I mainly cycle during summer months as cold air makes my asthma worse, but will attempt short distances on occasions to keep my stamina up in winter. I have a Dawes royal town bike as a 'sit and beg' bike helps keep my back straight to prevent back pain. A little basket to complete the mum look ( don't laugh!). I have lost about a stone but now seem to have leveled off. Would like to loose about another 1 half stone. Guess I am asking how many miles a day to help achieve this?

Diet, I'm afraid. I lost 10kg in year riding around 5000 miles, rode further the next year and put it back on again. Concentrated on what I ate (just a little) and lost it again.

Think about what you eat. Riding is a good accompaniment, though.

The last few kg are the hardest to lose.

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome:
I ride a mountain bike for trails, and on shared paths/towpaths, my Dawes hybrid.
I hate riding on roads but have to on occasion - luckily the roads around my area aren't too bad.
I have arthritis in my spine and knees and the hybrid is great for that :smile:

I would say to lose weight you'd also have to be watching what you eat. I've recently joined Slimming World and am doing well but I have loads to lose after years of giving birth (5 kids) and neglecting myself :smile:

Here's my Dawes - I put a wire basket on the front but took it off as I prefer the rear rack bag :smile:

20150703_125509.png

Bianchi boy

Über Member
:welcome: To the forum, what you need is a triathlon bike and skin suit, ......No only joking^_^ maybe try and incorporate a couple of steady hill climbs at a sensible pace will help the body burn the extra calories

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Blondie
I used to live in Carnforth - some lovely bike rides around there!
One challenge you could give yourself (don't know your current mileage) is to put your bike on the train to Carnforth, or Silverdale, or even Arnside, and cycle back. The route from Carnforth back into Lancaster along the canal is lovely.
Let me know if you need any more ideas!

OP
OP
Blondie73

Blondie73

Regular
Thanks guys. Yes diet is a good idea. I do have a sweet tooth! Need to control those sugar cravings :sad: . Thanks Spinny. Yes I know the canal route well,lovely ride. I come off at Hest Bank then cycle back up the prom on a nice day. Ride to Crook o Lune lovely to!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi Blondie
I used to live in Carnforth - some lovely bike rides around there!
One challenge you could give yourself (don't know your current mileage) is to put your bike on the train to Carnforth, or Silverdale, or even Arnside, and cycle back. The route from Carnforth back into Lancaster along the canal is lovely.
Let me know if you need any more ideas!

Born and brought up in Crag Bank near Carnforth......

I'd second this idea. Take a train to Silverdale and then you can ride back around Warton Crag, then take the Shore Road that comes out in Crag Bank. From there you can take the canal back to Lancaster.

Re weight loss, you need to cycle quite a lot to have a marked effect, certainly a few hours a week. But it all helps

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Born and brought up in Crag Bank near Carnforth......

I'd second this idea. Take a train to Silverdale and then you can ride back around Warton Crag, then take the Shore Road that comes out in Crag Bank. From there you can take the canal back to Lancaster.

Re weight loss, you need to cycle quite a lot to have a marked effect, certainly a few hours a week. But it all helps
And then when you can do that, take the upper road around Warton Crag instead - if you can cycle up that you're getting there.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi & :welcome:
Another Slimming Worlder here. I too would say look at what you eat as well as how far you ride.
I've recently shifted 3 stone with the diet and riding combo. I have ridden for years though and not dropped much weight, it was changing my eating (bad) habits that has done the deed for me. I don't eat bread now, don't miss it either. I do have cake but I have to work for it first, bike ride or good gym work out, it's all the same to me.

.:secret:Last night I had chip shop chips Shhhhh, don't tell the others

Julia9054

Guru
Use an app to write down (honestly) what you eat. Then you can see what would be the least painful things to cut out.
Drink coffee, ride in the morning for about 30 mins on an empty stomach then eat porridge.
Buy a turbo trainer and an old bike to attach to it and keep it set up. You can jump on it and do 30 minutes when the weather is too cold to go out.
See your asthma nurse (I'm sure you know this) and check that your medication regime is as good as it can be. At my review 2 years ago, I explained how much cycling I was doing and where my breathing was limiting me. Got a long acting bronchodilator to add to my regime which has made a huge difference.

Top Bottom