Lance Armstrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mondobongo said:
He's already squealing about inconsistent rules citing Cipollini's return as an example.
Didn't Cipo's 'return' (ha ha) pre-date the blood passport regs?

I'm guessing that the TdU organisers will be desperate to have him there, so the UCI are probably getting it in the ear from two sets of lawyers right now.

yello

Chuffy said:
I'm guessing that the TdU organisers will be desperate to have him there

What makes you guess that? Personally, I'm not so sure. I'm certainly prepared to believe they can see pluses and minuses to it. He's doubtless going to attract more interest (therefore money, so I'm sure the ASO accountants are keen!) but it's not like the TdF is short of income as it is.

I have no idea but would think opinions are divided and the only official is the 'if he's got the drug test paperwork in order' line already given. Of course, there's always the get out of not inviting Astana - neatly side stepping the question.

yello said:
What makes you guess that? Personally, I'm not so sure. I'm certainly prepared to believe they can see pluses and minuses to it. He's doubtless going to attract more interest (therefore money, so I'm sure the ASO accountants are keen!) but it's not like the TdF is short of income as it is.
I was referring to the Tour Down Under dear boy. I'm sure that they will be eager to have him.

TdF will be much more ambivalent though.

yello

Chuffy said:
I was referring to the Tour Down Under dear boy. I'm sure that they will be eager to have him.

Well, as I said in another post, my mother told me (from NZ) that a number of Aussies are not too keen on it. Don't know why and it could just be NZ media spin.

yenrod

Will1985 said:
I don't think that he doped at all. His cancer obviously had a positive effect on his physique and mental attitude.
Also, you can look at Tiger Woods with his different attitude towards training for golf as a reason for his massive success - there is no reason why it cannot be the same for Armstrong with his attitude towards training and the team which was built up around him (I would use this argument to defend his first couple of wins, but once other teams caught up he must have had to pull something new out of the hat).
The same can be said for England's 2003 Rugby WC success - they employed sports science techniques and sports psychologists when the other teams didn't; having the mental edge is often touted as the difference between winning and losing.

Recently I have been thinking about something - Armstrong and Contador have both had brain surgery, and I wonder if that may have had any influence on other things. (Don't attack me on this, because it is just a question and I doubt any amount of current medical expertise could ratify or reject it.)

If I was to post a comment it'd be this !

So I'm a - believer :tongue:

Noodley

Looks like Vino could be joining Lance at Astana....:?:

No English link available yet, but it's in l"Equipe.

Keith Oates

Janner
If that happened I can't see Astana or Armstrong in the TdF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noodley said:
Looks like Vino could be joining Lance at Astana....:?:

No English link available yet, but it's in l"Equipe.
Oh come on! Bringing back a nasty whiff like Vino would be like Gordon Brown bringing, say, Peter Mandelson back into the cabinet!

Oh......:tongue:

kennykool said:
The French have it in for Lance cos he's won THEIR tour so many times!!!
Right then. I'm going to start a drinking game based on every time a fan-boy trots out this line to explain away why people don't like Armstrong...:?:
We'll be blotto by teatime.

Noodley

Ok, excuse my translation skills, but here's roughly what the web article says:

After announcing his retirement in December, Alexander Vinokourov announced his return to competition according to Saturday's l'Equipe. Suspended for doping until last July 24, the Kazakh will probably carry the shirt of "the team of his heart", Astana. The former conqueror of the Vuelta would therefore become the teammate of Lance Armstrong but should not participate in the Tour de France.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/index.html

justAl

Why is professional cycling allowing LA to bulldoze his way in? His latest rant is about not ever being caught doping along with 25 riders who helped him. How many of those 25 have since failed a test or have suspicions against them? The racing calender is what it says, RACING, not a sportive to raise money for charity. And as for Astana, I thought they wanted to be taken seriously and shed their past skin. "A new age for cyling" I think not

kennykool

Chuffy said:
Right then. I'm going to start a drinking game based on every time a fan-boy trots out this line to explain away why people don't like Armstrong...:smile:
We'll be blotto by teatime.

Ok then Chuffy - whats your explanation for it...let me guess...Oh.....he's arrogant etc etc blah blah blah

Heard it all before!!!!

Top Bottom