Lance documentary BBC iPlayer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
If he hadn’t been a pro cyclist, he would probably be a fraudster or murderer.
It’s where he chases Simeoni down, has a hand on his back, sends him back into the peloton then does the zip your mouth gesture straight into a camera on worldwide tv, and he knows nobody can/will do a thing about it

Eziemnaik

Über Member
If he hadn’t been a pro cyclist, he would probably be a fraudster or murderer.
More likely a Tory politician

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Do not throw stones at my direction but his tdf podcast was actually quite good, full of insights and some peleton wisdom, plus rather articulate

johnblack

Über Member
Do not throw stones at my direction but his tdf podcast was actually quite good, full of insights and some peleton wisdom, plus rather articulate
It would be a sad state of affairs if people threw stones at you just for listening to his podcast. It's good, Bruyneel knows his stuff, as does Hincapie, I'd rather listen to them than Lionel Birnie, Moore and Friebe. I tried listening to Wiggins, god I struggle with him.

Drago

Legendary Member
He didn't do anything that most top flight riders and teams weren't doing back then. That he/his team were better at it than anyone else shouldn't single him out specifically for vilification. He donated his charisma to medical science long before the TdF, and would prboably have been a bit of a nodder if he'd been a footballer, milkman, or sold photocopiers for a living.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
He didn't do anything that most top flight riders and teams weren't doing back then. That he/his team were better at it than anyone else shouldn't single him out specifically for vilification. He donated his charisma to medical science long before the TdF, and would prboably have been a bit of a nodder if he'd been a footballer, milkman, or sold photocopiers for a living.
I watched part 1 last night. I really don't like the man but it was interesting. I'll watch the second part tonight.

His intensity is still there, even in middle age when one might have expected him to calm down a lot. He is a very odd man and not a pleasant one. It was interesting to contrast him with the other convicted dopers interviewed, who seemed like perfectly decent people!

Looking at the timeline, it is likely that he was NOT doing any (serious?) doping when he was in his teens, and from what everyone was saying it was obvious even then that he was athletically very gifted.

I'm sure that it WAS incredibly annoying for him to discover that he couldn't dominate other riders because THEY were all doping. He considered that his rightful place was at the top so he was going to do it too. The thing is, did he REALLY have to be such a nasty piece of work while doing it!

To the people who say that it was okay because there was a level doping playing field...
  • There was NOT! He obviously had the money to get the best doping advice/support.
  • He was clearly a 'super-responder' who had a very powerful response to his doping practices.
  • Everybody who wanted to compete in a clean sport had to give up on any idea of being successful, or give up the sport altogether.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
There has been a convincing thread somewhere that he was on test early in his late teens...if that had anything to do with his disease would be an interesting thing to find out...

If anybody is interested in the subject there is a great doc on doping and our culture Bigger, stronger, faster

View: https://youtu.be/cpWAK1IkxVY

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
He didn’t do anything that wasn’t being done by others, where I think the differences lie was the multi million dollar sponsorships, the cancer charity and the constant denials of doping, this meant he could never afford to be caught out, the whole situation just snowballed out of control, all he could do was lie and then sue and smear people, as attack proved to be the best line of defence, if he hadn’t been so arrogant as to make a comeback he would have got away with it, it just came easy as he is a nasty piece of work.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've watched the first part and enjoyed it. I couldn't care less about the doping as I've no interest in cycling, or any other sport for that matter, but he's driven, single minded, nasty and lots of other things. I believe the cancer charity work should be taken into account to balance things up a bit. When all is said and done, it's a cracking story on so many levels.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've watched part 2 now.

About the only time that Armstrong seemed even vaguely normal was when he was talking about his kids, and even then I didn't trust that he was being 100% sincere!

I have only ever seen one man with eyes like his before... A kind of scary intensity in them. You definitely wouldn't want to get into a fight with him unless you made sure that you killed him within 2 or 3 seconds of it starting! :laugh:

Top Bottom