Landis' return

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I agree with Andy re LA's primary motive for returning.

I don't get the raising awareness of cancer theme at all. It's not as if nobody had heard of it till he got it and forgot about the disease after he retired. Rhe advances in cancer research and treatment have sweet LAFA to do with Armstrong. I think he has a distorted view of himself and his ego.

I can't help wondering if him being nice to Landis is because Floyd has some dirt on him from the USP days:evil:

rich p said:
I can't help wondering if him being nice to Landis is because Floyd has some dirt on him from the USP days:evil:
Cute theory. However, I don’t think that Landis or any other ex-Postie/Disco rider could possibly have anything strong enough to do any damage. The only exception would be Hincapie, perhaps. His cult has become so strong and there is so much history now that even if Landis published video of himself and LA sipping on homologous Type O and knocking back EPO cocktails the day before a team TT he would still be dismissed as just another jealous hater with a grudge. Team LA would do a hatchet job on him, the fanboys would never, ever accept anything that cast aspersions on their hero and the whole thing would be rapidly obscured in a cloud of ink from the lawyers. Nothing, and I do mean nothing short of a personal confession, and maybe not even that, would have any real impact.

See my previous post for my take on why he's coming back, although ChrisKH seems to have the same view.

ChrisKH said:
He has ceased to be a professional earning his living and has become a rider for charity. This isn't what professional cycling is or should be about IMO.

I don't remember hearing too many protests about LA's charity-raising before he retired: i.e. the yellow 'Livestrong' bands!

How many non LA fans bought/wore one? Was it to show your support for the charity, or, as I suspect, to show the public that you were a cyclist and kindred spirit of a champion?

John the Monkey said:
I do think he's right in that if people serve their penalty under the rules at the time, why shouldn't they ride, but to go beyond that and present Landis as being the same as Millar (and by extension those who have a problem with Landis as being in some way hypocritical) is plain wrong (imo).

Absolutely !

Yes, he's served his time, he can now ride.
Same with Tyler, Basso (and a good portion of Rock Racing :wacko:), any of those other dopers.
We can take exception perhaps with Vino coming back this year - but that's because his federation's stupid 1-year ban rather than a proper 2-year one he'd have got from any other federation or the UCI

But to equate Fraud Landis with Millar and say they're both time-served ex-dopers is utterly disengenuous : one is an admitted ex-doper who is now an active campaigner against doping, the other one is a I-never-did-it-I'm-innocent-it's-all-a-conspiracy-it's-the-lab-it-was-no-sex-it-was-too-much-sex-it-was-two-beers-and-a-bourbon-Greg-LeMond-keep-quiet-we-know-embarassing-things-from-your-childhood denier...

OP
OP
Y

yello

chfp77 said:
Just wondering, does everyone in the world hate Armstrong?:becool:

The world? No. But I doubt very much I'd like him though :biggrin:

To equate Landis with Millar is naive, or under knowledged, at best. LA is neither of those so one has to assume there's an axe to grind.

That said, I don't doubt his motivation as far as his the comeback is concerned. I honestly have no doubt that it is, at least in good part, to do with raising awareness for his charity and cancer causes generally.

Still doesn't mean I have to like the man though.

chfp77

Understand what people are saying about Millar/Landis. Obviously would have been much better if he held his hands up,but maybe Armstrong is just trying to show some support for an old mate?

chfp77

Must admit,the whole raise awareness thing,not to sure about,but if it does get more people thinking and donating to cancer charities thats not so bad!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
chfp77 said:
...maybe Armstrong is just trying to show some support for an old mate?
Which is fine, but why paint people who don't like Landis as hypocrites if they like Millar? Why even suggest the two are equivalent?

I don't think it's important that we like Armstrong or for that matter any other rider. What matters is that they engage us and involve us. I've always been drawn to the less than perfect people in cycle racing. They're the ones that have the capacity to make me watch. The only one I've ever disliked is Big Mig and he was by all accounts a truly nice bloke (is). Weird eh.

Crackle said:
I don't think it's important that we like Armstrong or for that matter any other rider. What matters is that they engage us and involve us. I've always been drawn to the less than perfect people in cycle racing. They're the ones that have the capacity to make me watch. The only one I've ever disliked is Big Mig and he was by all accounts a truly nice bloke (is). Weird eh.
I had no preconceptions when I started following the Tour, I didn't know who any of them were. But despite that I felt drawn to Ullrich, because he seemed brilliant but frail and unreliable and I liked that. I think we do look for characteristics in riders that we can relate to, even if we're going on nothing more than gut instinct and a couple of two minute interviews. I think that's just a very basic and human response, to establish some kind of relationship with what we're seeing, whether it's a sporting event, a film or a band performing on stage. But I'd be interested in the Tour regardless of who the riders are. It's the event that makes the story and even if you've never heard of any of the players you'll establish new relationships by the end.

Keith Oates

Janner
As far as I recall Landis and Armstrong were not the best of buddies after Landis departed from Disco, in fact there were some well documented Landis quotes that seemed to support that theory. I agree that he has now paid the penalty and as the rules stand can be allowed to race again but somehow the supportive feelings I had for him when he was racing previously have mellowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
Landis is not the first and probably not the last, he has served his time and therefore allowed to return to race under current legislation

In a way I like his no frills return none of this 'look at my blood tests I am a good boy I will even post them online for the world to see'. Just I am coming back to race its what I do.

Noodley

Keith Oates said:
As far as I recall Landis and Armstrong were not the best of buddies after Landis departed from Disco....

Lance did not have good relationships with many who left Disco. Mostly of Lance's doing.

Top Bottom