Landlord/letting agency being unhelpful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frankieabbott

Regular
I live in a rented flat that is 2 flight of stairs from the ground floor. I thought I would ask the letting agency if I could house a bike in the stairwell cupboard on the ground floor. Answer was a flat no. Outcome now being I will have to hoik any cycle up over 40 steps....and keep it in my flat. My cycling designs are quickly becoming a pipe dream. Or maybe keep a folding bike in boot of my car is the answer!!

Nebulous

Guru
Move!

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
That'll be good cyclocross training.

Or maybe you could winch your bike up to your flat of you have a big enough window.

Does the groundfloor cupboard belong to the ground floor tenant? If so, ask them if you can use it. They can keep whatever they want in it.

so glad our new landlady was more co-operative. Asked for the clause about storing bikes outside to be removed - on the grounds that we had just come back from "attempting to cycle around the world". She agreed and found us a place to store the bikes where we can see then, cleaned the area and put gravel down. We can put a shed there if we want, but yet to find anything that would work without killing all the light in the kitchen. She as also agreed to us putting a couple of ring bolts in to secure the bikes if we feel like it.

+1 move!

gavintc

Guru
My flat is on the 3rd floor of an Edinburgh tenement - 69 steps from the pavement to the flat door. Bikes get carried up and down on a regular basis. So, I am with the 'man up' team on here.

Reactions: 4F
As Rob said, man up and carry the bike. I used to live in a 3rd floor apartment and I used to carry up my old heavy dutch bike up every day.

Lee_M

Guru
Of course your first mistake was asking permission!

Always better to ask for forgiveness.

I stored a bike for a year that way, then another 6 months arguing after they found out!

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
so glad our new landlady was more co-operative. Asked for the clause about storing bikes outside to be removed - on the grounds that we had just come back from "attempting to cycle around the world". She agreed and found us a place to store the bikes where we can see then, cleaned the area and put gravel down. We can put a shed there if we want, but yet to find anything that would work without killing all the light in the kitchen. She as also agreed to us putting a couple of ring bolts in to secure the bikes if we feel like it.

+1 move!
6'x4' Pentlow shed.

6'x4' Pentlow shed.

the shed will unfortuantly block the only source of light for our kitchen window because an electricity meter is in the way of it going anywhere else in the space - we looked at some of those toolshed ones which are only upto handle bar height, height wise great, depth wise might have taken 3 of the 4 bikes, but it was the width that was the issue, my husband's bike was just a touch too long and would have needed to go diagonally...

on the road

Über Member
As others have said, man up and carry the bike up, at least you can see it. I'm lucky, I live on the ground floor so don't have to carry my bike up the stairs, but I don't store my bike in the hallway where everyone but me can see it, I store it in my flat where I can see it. If I lived on the top floor I would still carry it up all those stairs and store it in my flat where I can see it.

Chris S

Legendary Member
You're lucky - some landlords won't even allow people to keep bikes in their flats. Presumably it's because of the miniscule risk of chain oil getting on the carpets, wallpaper, etc. They could always take the cost of repairs out of your deposit, even if it did.

Top Bottom