Land's End to John O'Groats Charity Cycle 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

Land's End to John O'Groats is arguably the ultimate cycle challenge. UK End 2 End delivers the perfect ride, with the ideal sized group of 300 riders, ensuring group camaraderie along with ample space on the roads. It's a fully supported event, attempting 980 miles in just 9 days, raising vital funds for charities of your choice.

You'll experience the very best that British cycling has to offer, from roads perfect for riding, to landscapes overwhelmingly beautiful. Achieve this amid fantastic hospitality and as part of a unique team, all pulling together with one shared ambition.

Our website is www.ukend2end.com so do have a look if you're interested!

Has anyone done anything similar before or debating whether or not to give it a go? Feel free to reply to this with any questions. Be good to see who fancies the challenge!

William - from Action Challenge

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think before anybody even considers signing up with this lot they should find out how much AC is going to take out of the sponsorship money raised. Perhaps, William, you might set this out?

OP
OP
ActionChallenge

ActionChallenge

Regular
Hi Dellzeqq,

Feel free to have a look at our website, www.ukend2end.com, and we explain all regarding costs and fundraising etc. Hope this helps. We help raise millions of pounds for a large number of UK charities, so whichever percentage we take beforehand, to help organise and market the event, we'd like to think this is worth it!

William

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
William

it's a simple enough question. And it's a question anybody thinking of going on a sponsored E2E should have an answer to. How much of the money they raise for their chosen charity will go to Action Challenge?

OP
OP
ActionChallenge

ActionChallenge

Regular
Dellzeqq,

Indeed it is, I just thought you'd like to have more of a detailed view of the whole event and costings.

The money raised by our participants is split in the ratio of approximately 40:60 with the majority obviously going to the charity.

I hope this helps clear it up!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So, if I've got this right, a person who commits to raising £1800 will have to pay £1000 and hand over £720 of his or her sponsorship money. Or, if they'd rather, people can just pay £1700.

That's a shedload of dough.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It would be nice if more charity rides followed the example of the Royal British Legion's events: Transparent costs, kept entirely separate from sponsorship and entirely down to the participants- no sponsors get the idea they're paying for a holiday. But then, there wouldn't be a cut for companies like Action Challenge, would there?

Andy84

Veteran
Hi William,

How come you aren't running this event exclusively for Action Medical Research any more?

I can't even see that they are listed as a 'charity partner'

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
If memory serves - van support and coach return cost our little crew £138 each. Accommodation varied, but you could have squeezed it down to £250 - we stayed in some pretty spiffy places and it came to £450. No GPS, but then, judging by the shambles on Action Challenge's ride to Brighton, GPS is more of a help than a hindrance.

musa

Über Member
Deolittle (sp??) RAB Doing this journey not for charity please note for £1750(?) with all support crew accommodation

The charity thing is selling it for you

If I'm mistaken from your site if I don't want to sponsor I paid 299 deposit then 1400 to do the ride myself

OP
OP
ActionChallenge

ActionChallenge

Regular
60 /40 bloody hell think I would rather do it myself so ALL the money goes to the charity

^ We are organising the full event, as well as marketing it. This means all food, accommodation, transfers etc. is all inclusive. By putting on our events, we are ultimately creating a platform for people to raise money for charity, as well as challenging themselves. If you'd like to cycle the entire route of Land's End to John O'Groats on your own/with friends without a company-organised event, to raise money for charity - then no one is stopping you :smile:

OP
OP
ActionChallenge

ActionChallenge

Regular
Hi William,

How come you aren't running this event exclusively for Action Medical Research any more?

I can't even see that they are listed as a 'charity partner'

Hi Andy84,

I believe Action Medical Research are trying to do their own specific event. However, because this is multi-charity, there are many that we are partners with. And for those that we aren't, we can be upon your request!

OP
OP
ActionChallenge

ActionChallenge

Regular
Deolittle (sp??) RAB Doing this journey not for charity please note for £1750(?) with all support crew accommodation

The charity thing is selling it for you

If I'm mistaken from your site if I don't want to sponsor I paid 299 deposit then 1400 to do the ride myself

Hi Musa,

Yes you're right. That is one of three of our fundraising options.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A mixture of accommodation is provided, including comfortable academic establishments and camps in some of the most scenic and remote parts of the UK. Hotels are also used, for that well deserved rest!

William. Camping? 6 nights camping out of nine? And one of the indoor nights is student halls? The words tin and bath come to mind.

Top Bottom