Land's End to John O'Groats Charity Cycle 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ActionChallenge

ActionChallenge

Regular
A mixture of accommodation is provided, including comfortable academic establishments and camps in some of the most scenic and remote parts of the UK. Hotels are also used, for that well deserved rest!

William. Camping? 6 nights camping out of nine? And one of the indoor nights is student halls? The words tin and bath come to mind.

Hi Delzegg,

The nights we camp are fantastic, and we have large marquees that cater for everyone. Hot meals, with plenty of variation - all included. We feel that people would rather camp most nights in good conditions to get more of an 'adventure' feel to the 9 days. Not many people want to just stay in a hotel each night.

I appreciate that you're unlikely to be convinced, but the feedback we received not just from this event, but our London 2 Brighton & Moonriders you mentioned earlier, has been brilliant.

Bloody hell £1700, to camp?

I went to the South of France for three weeks for under £1k and that was including transport to and from the South of France, all my camping fees, breakfast lunch and and at least a 3 course meal every night, beer and wine. I even got sunshine,spectated the TdeF and climbed a fair few 'trophy' climbs.

Oh and a big thanks to everyone on CC that sponsored me in the process, I raised a little over £2000,with EVERY penny going to my chosen charity:thumbsup:

OP
OP
ActionChallenge

ActionChallenge

Regular
Hi oldfatfool,

No, it's not £1700 to camp. That's incorrect.

Congratulations on raising £2000, that's fantastic!

Good luck on your future rides

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hi oldfatfool,

No, it's not £1700 to camp. That's incorrect.

Congratulations on raising £2000, that's fantastic!

Good luck on your future rides
well how incorrect is it?

I've got some feedback from the Moonriders rides as well. And it's not good.

StuartG

slower but further
I think we went over it when two Moonriders turned up on the Felpham ride.
<shocked> I am surprised you can show your face here DZ. On your rides you expect folks to fork out TWO POUNDS and contribute to the BEER FUND FROM THEIR OWN POCKETS. Tell you what, when you can get someone to pay for my pleasure I might just give you 60% of what's left to do with as you wish :becool:

Charity? Tell me a better way than straight Gift Aiding ... there are a great many challenging things one can attempt to inspire contributions for not very much cost. Including LeJoG.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
to be fair that's two pounds for a year's rides. It works out to about 11p a ride, which I accept is much higher than last year (and it's set to increase to about 12.5p a ride next year) but the single night rides are of far superior quality to the Moonriders efforts.

StuartG

slower but further
I guess I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of other people paying for my pleasure (or pain or whatever). And I am even more uncomfortable with paying for other people's pleasures.

Remember this is for charity. The rider is getting a cycling achievement out of this and, unless they are on the dole or similar, should be contributing something too. Ideally the costs. And when it comes out of one's own pocket then value for money is going to focus the mind between choosing the differing merits of organisers or even DIY.

As DZ says - an upfront and single management fee is IMHO the way to go. Just as you would expect from Thomas Cook.

Nicobulus

Remember this is for charity. The rider is getting a cycling achievement out of this and, unless they are on the dole or similar, should be contributing something too. Ideally the costs. And when it comes out of one's own pocket then value for money is going to focus the mind between choosing the differing merits of organisers or even DIY.

As DZ says - an upfront and single management fee is IMHO the way to go. Just as you would expect from Thomas Cook.

I'm in agreement with this. Did a cycle to Paris last year and paid for the privilege = all charitable raising went to charity of choice. It was a holiday for me, and I loved pretty much every minute of it (apart from waking up on Day 3 suffering from a stinking cold and lager head).

Mind you, if someone raised £20,000 or more I think the nominated charity should refund the costs!

Top Bottom