laptop dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Due to the battery being completely dead,new one in order but taking weeks due to wrong one sent, returned, refunded,re ordered. The laptop will not boot at all now even on mains.I had been getting bios battery warning message before Windows loaded but it doesn't even do that now.
I assume when the battery arrives all will be ok?it's a hp laptop

Jason

yes it will be fine. Might have to enter/exit BIOS just so it sorts itself out, but otherwise HP laptops are pretty robust

lazyfatgit

Are you sure the power supply is working?

I've had 2 fail on me, one on wifey's laptop, which i suspect caused the battery to cycle too often and die.

tyred

Legendary Member
Try removing the battery and then plug in the mains and try power it up to see what happens. Used to do the trick on an old Compaq laptop I had.

We had a Sony touch and it stopped booting even on mains despite new battery. Turns out it needed a power discharge which was done by holding power button for 30s whilst off. Been fine ever since

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Really? I don't think so.
Well here's something you don't know then. you can, if you don't mind telling a porky. There is a loop hole which allows the users of 'Microsoft assistive technologies' to get the upgrade for free. Did it myself only last week to four year old HP laptop my wife bought running Win7:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acc...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)()
At no point do they ask you to confirm if you are actually using assistive technologies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom