laptop/internet question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itchybeard

Why do I keep getting a 'yellow hazard' symbol showing up over the bars which show the internet strength?
It occurs randomly and is very annoying.
Obviously when this comes on, I have no internet signal.
Other laptops work that is connected to my home wi-fi.

Do I need to a system clean or registry clean?
It says 'DNS server' that is the fault when I do a check with the browser...

Stuck!

BrynCP

Über Member
DNS lookup failure are a symptom rather than the problem.

It usually means you have a connection to your wireless access point, but it's not connecting any further to the internet. This can happen if your router loses it's ADSL/Cable connection temporarily. However, you say while this is happening the others are working fine?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And how precisely would you know that?

ah, um , I read it on the internet must be true.

(actually I confess.......
...................., It was a Dilbert joke use by the help-desk to fob off users)

Pish-taking aside, some devices do seem to do that, whilst others work just fine. I take it you've tried with an Ethernet cable instead - from the same router?

MiK1138

Veteran
Why do I keep getting a 'yellow hazard' symbol showing up over the bars which show the internet strength?
It occurs randomly and is very annoying.
Obviously when this comes on, I have no internet signal.
Other laptops work that is connected to my home wi-fi.

Do I need to a system clean or registry clean?
It says 'DNS server' that is the fault when I do a check with the browser...

Stuck!
Could be the walls are more dence between your router and the computer in question, i have a "cold Spot " in my kitchen where i lose WIFI

RitchieJoe

http://gyazo.com/738bcd2f24f24db8a62c4de8e1ba7120

So it looks like that? Mine always does but that is due to the little green man which is my vpn.

Have you tried right clicking and troubleshooting? cleared dns cache? ensured your router hasn't assigned the same Ip address to two devices (it can happen)

I would try steps mentioned above, to clear the cache press the windows key, type cmd then press enter

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Difficult to say without more information, different devices have better WiFi than others (my 4 year old iPad seems to get a signal where nothing else will) but to reset the IP and DNS:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press R to bring up the Run dialog
2. Type 'cmd' and press enter.
3. Type 'ipconfig /release' and press enter.
4. Type 'ipconfig /renew' and press enter.
5. Type 'ipconfig /flushdns' and press enter.

That should assign you a new IP so if there's a clash it might help.

If it's a genuine problem with the DNS (unlikely but possible) you can try using the Google one temporarily:
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Could be the walls are more dence between your router and the computer in question, i have a "cold Spot " in my kitchen where i lose WIFI

The fridge?

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Did it get sorted? My router does this from time to time. A random device will get the yellow triangle and lose internet. The signal is fine and the network intact, just the internet access. It's almost as though the router "forgets" a device and doesn't give it an identifier. A router reboot usually does the trick.

Top Bottom