Laptop Issue - no keys on the keyboard are working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
External keyboard not working, nor is the external mouse (both known working) - just deleted the usb drivers and trying again.

Old Toshiba Satellite C660D

As for what's happened to it, I just got presented with it - no working can you fix.

Here is an old guide on how to remove the keyboard

Here are some keyboards - a majority of them about £9 with free shipping

The one that has the most sales is £9.29

You should really start paying attention about 27 seconds into the video where the guy lifts the keyboard off and exposes the ribbon cable underneath. They can be fragile so you dont want to yank on it too hard. Lift the keyboard a little and check the ribbon underneath. If its seated correctly, pull it out anyway and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol or give it a wipe down and plug it back in again.

If you've plugged in an external keyboard and it still doesnt work then I suggest trying to uninstall any software relating to the use of HOTKEYS if you have something installed. Some laptops require you to have certain sofware installed to use the FN+F1 or whatever sort of keyboard short cuts. It could be a software conflict.

If not then just double check that you havent used a hot key to disable the keyboard - This sounds extremely obvious and quite stupid i know but I assure you its happened to people that have come to me before and all it took was an FN+(Key) combination to turn the keyboard or trackpad back on. Sometimes its the obvious things that people neglect to try out and they panic

Worst comes to worst. ship it to me and i'll do the work for a medium rare dry aged steak so long as replacement parts are supplied.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Inability to use the keybaord to enter the BIOS indicates something more fundamental with the built in keyboard, assuming of course that you've ensured the keyboard isn't disabled using a function key. If the external keyboard is working then try resetting the BIOS back to factory settings.

If it continues to fail you could try taking the machine apart and checking the contacts on the ribbon cable. Look for any signs of corrosion on the mainboard at the same time. If that fails it may well be time to consider a replacement., especially if the computer is running windows 7.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
So…then it’s time for a new one in the sales

Even that's not foolproof - I bought a new Lenovo laptop for SWMBO last year. It booted up nicely, but there was no combination of Fn and any other key that would get a single key on the keyboard to work.

Returned to the merchant, happily the replacement worked fine.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've decided I'm not spending more time on it - I've got an external keyboard working so i'll send it back with that, the built in keyboard is dead. She only uses it for doing invoices, so it's only really a 'desktop'.

Top Bottom