Laptop Issue - no keys on the keyboard are working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SIL has just dropped her laptop off saying the keys have suddenly stopped working. I've tried FN and F buttons, holding right shift down, deleting the drivers and even an external keyboard, nothing.

Is there anything obvious I've missed ?

Does an external USB mouse still work? I wonder if the I/O chip has failed, maybe a USB port was shorted. Has fluid got into the laptop?

vickster

Legendary Member
not turned on sticky keys by mistake? (I don't know what that does but it's always alarming to get the warning after the cat has walked on the keyboard :biggrin:)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Need more details.

Model of laptop would help. It might be easy to open up and check that some of the ribbon cables arent loose inside or if it is kaput. Maybe parts are cheaper to source compared to replacing the entire laptop. Ive done a few laptop keypad swaps in my time I would be happy to assist as much as i can virtually.

Was just gonna say plug in an external keyboard if you have one.

SydZ

Über Member
I was just searching for suggestions online; I found this gem:

"If your keyboard is not functioning, open a command prompt and type the following..."

A bit like the idiot call centre worker who refused to let my sister close our late mother's account unless our dead parent came to the phone to authorise it! :whistle:
Reminds me of an old POST error before USB became the connector of choice for keyboards.

“Keyboard error. Press any key to continue.”

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
External keyboard not working, nor is the external mouse (both known working) - just deleted the usb drivers and trying again.

Old Toshiba Satellite C660D

As for what's happened to it, I just got presented with it - no working can you fix.

vickster

Legendary Member
External keyboard not working, nor is the external mouse (both known working) - just deleted the usb drivers and trying again.

Old Toshiba Satellite C660D

As for what's happened to it, I just got presented with it - no working can you fix.
Tell them to take it to someone who knows what they are doing ;)

Top Bottom