Laptop or tablet thingy... Guidance would be appreciated!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Get a laptop with approx. 15" screen, anything smaller will make typing a hassle. You may be able to find some with Windows 7, which is infinitely preferable to Windows 8. I bought a desktop PC mid last year with Windows 7 on it, so it may still be sold here and there.
I can't understand all the fuss about 8.1. Download Classic Shell and it works just like Win 7, only faster.

andyfraser

Über Member
I can't understand all the fuss about 8.1. Download Classic Shell and it works just like Win 7, only faster.
I actually like Windows 8.1. I have it on my desktop PC by choice.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
A bit off topic but my biggest gripe with Windows 8 is the multi-touch gestures, even when they've been disabled in Windows there are still some occasions when they'll pop up and surprise you without warning, unexpectedly zooming into a webpage when all you want to do is scroll down for example. When I use a mouse on my windows 8 laptop I bump into fewer issues.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Word type stuff then laptop. Tablets are great but there are times when you put them down. Form filling on a Web page on a tablet can be a challenge.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
That's what I did, and the very fact that we have to download and install a third-party application just to make Windows 8.1 useable shows how annoying it is.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really like my Galaxy Tab tablet, but once it comes to doing much typing, I prefer to be back on my old Dell D430 laptop which I am using to post this.

Screen sizes are a very personal thing. I have no problems with any laptop from 11.6" and up. I can see the screen ok and the use the keyboards well. I have a 11.6" and 14" Chromebook, both with chicklet keyboards, and a 15.6" old school laptop with old school laptop keyboard. In order of ease of seeing the screen and typing it's the 14" then the 11.6" then the 15.6". Have a look at a few in PC World to get some idea.
This Dell has a really nice keyboard and a 12" screen. I find it a good size to actually use on my lap. Since my DVT problem, I have not been able to sit at a desk or a table for longer than about 30-40 minutes without my damaged leg giving me problems, so I spend most of my computer time now stretched out with the Dell on my lap. A bigger computer would be too heavy to do that with for long.

So, I vote ... smallish laptop for work, tablet for play! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
This requirement alone says laptop to me. Swipeing on a tablet keyboard requires lots of corrections to words constantly and tapping individual letters to make words is time consuming.

I've just done that sentence on a tablet and has to correct 6 misdetected words as it was.
Totally agree.

I have both a laptop (Macbook Pro) and tablet (iPad Air II). I love the both. Both have their uses and with their uses they are brilliant. But if you need word processing, it HAS to be a laptop. No other realistic choice.

andyfraser

Über Member
I really like my Galaxy Tab tablet, but once it comes to doing much typing, I prefer to be back on my old Dell D430 laptop which I am using to post this.

This Dell has a really nice keyboard and a 12" screen. I find it a good size to actually use on my lap. Since my DVT problem, I have not been able to sit at a desk or a table for longer than about 30-40 minutes without my damaged leg giving me problems, so I spend most of my computer time now stretched out with the Dell on my lap. A bigger computer would be too heavy to do that with for long.

So, I vote ... smallish laptop for work, tablet for play! :thumbsup:
I agree with that. Truth be told, my 14" Chromebook is a little on the large size but at the time they didn't do any other Chromebooks with 4GB RAM. I love the 11.6" ones.

I had DVT too. I seem to have got off lightly though. My right calf is permanently swollen and gives me the occasional twinge but nothing too serious.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A quick bit of online research and the opinion seems to be that you will have to pay for W10 but all future Windows upgrades will be free.

I think I'll stick with 8.1 after all. I've never actually upgraded any OS, I just wait till I need a new PC which obviously has the latest pre-installed. I suspect that's what most users do too.

Top Bottom