Laptop or Tower?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
But then surely you'd be better off with a desktop? Why would you want two different sized screens?

It strikes me that a laptop with its built-in screen is trading a very suboptimal experience (weird keyboard, trackpad instead of mouse) for a portability advantage that you give away when you connect peripherals to it.

I wouldn't say a laptop was suboptimal. I used one professionally for 30 years, usually with an extra screen if sat at my desk or at home. I never found any difficulty with laptop keyboards (I touch type) and never really bothered with a separate one. I used to favour a separate mouse for the reasons you mention, but modern trackpads are much better so I've rarely bothered in recent years.

Not sure why two different sized screens is a big issue - never bothered me at any rate

Unless you need heavy processing power, or to install interface cards or for gaming there's little or no reason NOT to choose a laptop for normal run of the mill purposes

vickster

Legendary Member
But then surely you'd be better off with a desktop? Why would you want two different sized screens?

It strikes me that a laptop with its built-in screen is trading a very suboptimal experience (weird keyboard, trackpad instead of mouse) for a portability advantage that you give away when you connect peripherals to it.

Because I take the laptop to the office too (it's a company one)...an I don't have room on my home desk for two screens, but I need two for my job

Dadam

If you're considering a laptop, get a laptop. There's very little downside these days unless you're going for high end gaming or workstation.

Consider the size of SSD. Don't even consider a spinning rust HDD these days unless you're going desktop PC and even then you want SSD for your main drive to host your OS and HDD for large file storage. I'd say go for 512Gb as a minimum rather than 256. For your usage 8Gb RAM is more than adequate but depending on budget 16Gb gives you more flexibility.

Consider the number and type of ports. If you want to drive an external screen, you want USB-C, HDMI or DisplayPort. HDMI is more flexible, i.e can connect to most things, but USB-C dongles are cheap. Most mid range screens these days seem to have USB-C. Cheaper ones may only have DP and/or HDMI. If you are using an external screen, USB-C with power delivery is really useful, you can power your laptop from the screen so only one cable to plug/unplug when you move around. Obviously if you're using external KB/mouse and don't have bluetooth ones, you'll want at least a couple of USB-A sockets too but bear in mind most of the aforementioned dongles have them.

Consider how long you'll be keeping it and whether you'll be likely to (want to) upgrade it. The more portable/thin/light the laptop, the more components are soldered in and not (easily) upgradable. That may not be an issue to you though.

If possible "test drive" the laptop. Laptop keyboards vary massively in quality and ergonomics, as do trackpads. Some are a joy to use, others you will be cursing all the time.

If you're using the laptop screen a lot, it's not nice staring at a poor screen all the time. Personally I can't see the point of 4k on a laptop unless it's 17" or more. Minimum resolution you should consider should be FHD (1920x1080) these days. The sweet spot for me is 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. I'd also want IPS panel (better colours than cheaper TN or VA), although OLED ones are getting cheaper and a step up again in quality.

Dolorous Edd

I think it's fair to say that a demographic which includes a large proportion of slightly nerdy technically minded people who like to debate the relative merits of different frame materials, rim brakes v disc brakes, the right number of cogs on a rear sprocket, etc etc, is highly unlikely to come to a unanimous view on the relative merits of laptops v dektops.

GuyBoden

Guru
Because I take the laptop to the office too (it's a company one)...an I don't have room on my home desk for two screens, but I need two for my job

Multi-screens has been a standard Software Development setup for a long time.

70woe5qlr32lkcr52ccw.jpg

Dadam

@GuyBoden Nice setup, slightly envious.

I've also used a laptop for work for 25 years and never looked back. Always plug into a bigger screen or two if available, but have the fallback of the lappy screen.

I use a BT mouse with multi-device connectivity so I connect to gaming PC, personal laptop or work laptop with a button push. I do like an external KB though so at work I plug into a dual 24" screen setup with mouse/KB with one cable. At home I plug into a single ultrawide screen and use BT kb/mouse.

Alex321

Veteran

Portability can be important, depending on your usage.

We have all had laptops for work ever since I started in this job, which means we can easily work in the office or from home. When I started here, working in the office was the norm, but we all expected to work from home occasionally, now it is normally just 2-3 days in the office each week.

In the office, each desk has a large screen or two smaller ones, and a docking station with a usb-C connector which you just plug into the laptop for both power and screen connectivity. At home, I have one large screen which has two input sockets - one permanently plugged inbto my home computer, the other I just plug the HDMI connector into my laptop when I get home.

Wireless keyboard and mouse in both locations, so all I need to carry between tehm is the actual laptop (which is a Macbook Pro).

My current home computer is a tower, but if I were to replace it now, it would most likely be a laptop I would get, even though I would only want to move it when going away on holiday. I do also have a laptop at home, but that is really old and really slow.

vickster

Legendary Member
The advantage of a laptop also if not being used: it can be switched off, put into a case and tidied away. A desktop and all the peripherals are always out, taking up space and gathering dust :smile:

I've had a work laptop for 20+ years, however in the olden days of working FT from an office, it just stayed there generaly unless I was travelling

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Spreadsheets are a lot easier on a big monitor. Mind you, you can buy one that plugs into a laptop for little more than £100.

I'd second that. I use a laptop with 27" monitor and separate keyboard. The laptop is simply there for it's guts. That said, if a laptop is just going to be sat on or under a desk, you might as well get a tower. But if you ever want to carry it anywhere then obviously laptop or chromebook better choice.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this in my old line of work (the legal trade). I initially thought all advances in technology were going to be an advantage. Answering people quickly is important, right?

Well, no.

After a few years, I came to the conclusion that it was healthier to not be working when you aren't at work. And that your "fun" machine should ideally be different from your "work" machine. I feel the demarcation between work and play is not healthy for you as a person, nor is it conducive to being a properly focused worker.

OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Thanks for all the replies peeps. Some more helpful than others! I was not expecting a full discourse of some stuff which went straight over my head.

I should have mentioned that a new monitor is required, either with tower or laptop. The suggested laptop would be a 'standard' 15½" size. Apologies. Its a bit like someone coming on CC saying I want a new bike, what should I get.

Both recommended options have 16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. (Showing my lack of knowledge, this means nothing to me).

Maybe talk to the IT folks at work and ask for their input.

I could never do "proper" work on a tablet. I need a proper keyboard.
This made me laugh Hobbes. I am the principal, cleaner, buyer, delivery guy and admin of my work, amongst other things. So that would include IT too. Except for now when it gets outsourced!
I agree with working on anything without a decent keyboard. And a larger screen than a laptop.

What wrong with the current PC, that makes you think it’s about to expire?
it takes about 5 minutes to get going, its making loud chuntering noises and it is old (in PC terms). It runs on Windows 10 but it did not originally.

Do you do whatever it is you do in one place or do you need to do it in many places?
I do not need it in many places, this would just be a bonus. I do not go to the 'office' - just my office along the hall at home!

Changing hard drive or a bit more memory may be all it needs.
Maybe. I feel this might be a temporary solution. Therefore, get the expense out of the way now.

I think it's fair to say that a demographic which includes a large proportion of slightly nerdy technically minded people who like to debate the relative merits of different frame materials, rim brakes v disc brakes, the right number of cogs on a rear sprocket, etc etc, is highly unlikely to come to a unanimous view on the relative merits of laptops v dektops.
Quite, I agree. However, I was not looking for unanimity. Reasoned opinions and my original query - what is the downside to a laptop - is what I'm looking for! Which has mostly happened.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the replies peeps. Some more helpful than others! I was not expecting a full discourse of some stuff which went straight over my head.

I should have mentioned that a new monitor is required, either with tower or laptop. The suggested laptop would be a 'standard' 15½" size. Apologies. Its a bit like someone coming on CC saying I want a new bike, what should I get.

Both recommended options have 16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. (Showing my lack of knowledge, this means nothing to me).

This made me laugh Hobbes. I am the principal, cleaner, buyer, delivery guy and admin of my work, amongst other things. So that would include IT too. Except for now when it gets outsourced!
I agree with working on anything without a decent keyboard. And a larger screen than a laptop.

it takes about 5 minutes to get going, its making loud chuntering noises and it is old (in PC terms). It runs on Windows 10 but it did not originally.

I do not need it in many places, this would just be a bonus. I do not go to the 'office' - just my office along the hall at home!

Maybe. I feel this might be a temporary solution. Therefore, get the expense out of the way now.

Quite, I agree. However, I was not looking for unanimity. Reasoned opinions and my original query - what is the downside to a laptop - is what I'm looking for! Which has mostly happened.

15.5" screen is a quite unusual these days, heavy (if wanting to take anywhere) and chunky and imo not necessary if attaching to a screen. You'd get more choice looking at a smaller screen (12/13/14”)
Refurb with warranty can get you a better machine at the same/better price and more favourable to the environment :smile:
Something like this Dell is under £200 with discount code CLEARANCE15
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32550100...X3ivNs2TC6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Others here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/e/coupon-offers/warehouse-clearance?_sop=12

Last edited:

Dadam

12" screens are too small to be usable for other than short periods or non-serious work. 13.3" is the minimum "serious" size (all IMHO of course, other opinions are available). I'm thinking of asking work for an upgrade to the 15.6" equivalent and citing aging eyes. I already need special VDU specs as the varifocals mean my head is bobbing around like a meerkat to look at different parts of the screen! :laugh:

Top Bottom