Laptop recomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I work for myself and the EEE has changed my life, no really:biggrin: No more heavy laptops to lug around, no more worries about damaging it, no more worries about £500+ being nicked. I take it with me on every ride, pick up my emails outside pubs or McDonalds, portability and durability were all I wanted and it gives me both. I never want a hard disk again.

I bought the 701, IMO this was the 100% right, straight out of the box. I had a mad few weeks thinking about the 900, bigger screens and memory, but those thoughts can go on forever, and why would you pay 60% more for an extra 2" screen.;)

I use Linux, have never used it before and I am a technophobe but see no reason to have XP on it, it's very simple. All the software that comes with it is all I'll ever need.

Now, I don't have to lug a useless heavy piece of over specified junk on my bike, don't have to search for internet cafes, don't have any more tantrums trying to "work" from a phone (can't be done), my life is now tickety boo.

An EEE 701 is perfect for cyclists and cost me £180:smile:

rich p said:
Isn't it awkward charging all these gadgets(cameras,phones, laptops etc) when in a tent?

Nope.... most can be topped up (slyly or with permission) in a pub or the site's clubhouse. Even the launderette whilst doing your washing is possible.

Smaller items can be topped up with a Power Monkey or similar.

I tour with the Power Monkey to top up my PDA, Ipod and our phones. All can be topped up once, and if you use the solar panle then the phone takes care of itself on a good week. (I have been playing with mine overthe last fewweeks of normal use and managed "Solar only" power.

goo_stewart

MacBook wins my vote, the only downside is that the processor runs hot compared with some other Macs. The MacBook Air is one great piece of hardware.

yello

I have a Eee PC, the 701 linux version. I like it; lightweight, portable, super quick boot up times... the battery life could be better but you can't have everything. Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra for a 900, I don't think it's worth it. And, with the release of the 900, there could be some deals to be had on the 701.

thePig said:
I bought the Linux version (which has a 20g drive).

Is that a typo? As I'm not sure what you mean. The 701 has a 2, 4 or 8Gb solid state drive (depending on model) though I think the 4Gb is the more common one.

Whatever, it is an impressive bit of kit for the price and I reckon, if you do need a laptop on tour, then the Eee has got to be a contender.

morehawes

Just finished my degree in computer science and in preparation for a long tour am parting with my (much much loved) MacBook for a eee Pc. Seems to fit the bill perfectly for touring, plus the difference in prices means once i've sold the MacBook i'll have a few hundred quid in change towards my trip (yes i am that poor!)

My MacBook is small and would recommend them to anyone (don't get me started!), but for my tour it's still far to bulky!

Joe.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
yello said:
thePig said:
I bought the Linux version (which has a 20g drive).
Is that a typo? As I'm not sure what you mean. The 701 has a 2, 4 or 8Gb solid state drive (depending on model) though I think the 4Gb is the more common one.
The 900 has a bigger drive as well as a bigger screen. You get either Linux & 20GB or XP & 16GB, same price.
Can we assume that that means that Microsoft are selling XP to Asus for about £10 (price of a 4GB SD card)?

Jaded

When/if I do something like a LEJOG, I'll do all my access etc. with my iPhone 2 (when I've got one!)

No bulky EEE PC to lug around!

just jim

"bulky" isn't a word normally associated with an Eee, but point taken if you're willing to get spendy (plus monthly sub) on an iPhone.

Jaded

just jim said:
"bulky" isn't a word normally associated with an Eee, but point taken if you're willing to get spendy (plus monthly sub) on an iPhone.

It's a relative term! ;)

For me, already having an iPhone 1, and considering if I'd be able to keep in contact for something like a blog whilst out on something like LEJOG, then I'm already spending the monthly sum, which gives me unlimited data, and I'd pay £100 for an iPhone 2 as opposed to significantly more for for a micro laptop.

Of course, I need to plan and start and E to E to see if it is a practical solution! :thumbsdown:

jay clock

Massive member
We now have two Asus EEEs. They are amazing. I took mine for a week's tour to Portugal and loved being able to do all the emails offline and send later.

BobLauder

Cunobelin said:
Nope.... most can be topped up (slyly or with permission) in a pub or the site's clubhouse. Even the launderette whilst doing your washing is possible.

Smaller items can be topped up with a Power Monkey or similar.

I tour with the Power Monkey to top up my PDA, Ipod and our phones. All can be topped up once, and if you use the solar panle then the phone takes care of itself on a good week. (I have been playing with mine overthe last fewweeks of normal use and managed "Solar only" power.

Hi, I've just been reading this thread and am very interested in the comments here. Heading off on a tour next week and need to resolve a Laptop decision. Had been looking to the EeePC as the way forward and the comments here seem to be very positive. Some do highlight battery life which is an issue.

Can I ask if you, or anybody else, has been able to power or charge an EeePC using a solar charger? I use a Scotty for the 'phone and PDA but I think this may not work with an EeePC.

Thanks for the useful chat.

Cheers,

Bob

OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
OK first of all thanks to all for the very good advice.
I have decided to go for the Asus EeePC 901 which is (what many critics have said) what the 900 should have been.
To all that are interested it has a longer battery life and and a few other features that the 900's missing. But I/we have to wait its comming to Holland in August/September :sad:
Google it for further detail.

Again thanks to all, George & Monique

just jim

That looks nice...

PC Pro reviewed it this month, and gave it a pretty good write up (nice keyboard), though battery life a bit lame.

Top Bottom