Laptop recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Friend needs a laptop, business uses, MS office, webcam for vid calls, email, Internet, bit of streaming on iPlayer perhaps etc
(deffo no gaming)

Must have:
fast boot up
good screen and sound
13-14” screen
good webcam
not 2 in 1 convertible nor touch screen
good build quality
min i5 processor, 256 SSD
hdmi, couple USBs etc
Max £700
Needs to be available for delivery now (so nothing out of stock)

Thanks, any suggestions gratefully received 👍👍

Friend needs a laptop, business uses, MS office, webcam for vid calls, email, Internet, bit of streaming on iPlayer perhaps etc
(deffo no gaming)

Must have:
fast boot up
good screen and sound
13-14” screen
good webcam
not 2 in 1 convertible nor touch screen
good build quality
min i5 processor, 256 SSD
hdmi, couple USBs etc
Max £700
Needs to be available for delivery now (so nothing out of stock)

Thanks, any suggestions gratefully received 👍👍
I have had an i5 Aspire for a couple of years, really pleased and fast
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...l-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198869-pdt.html

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In the days when I used Windows laptop (business) I usually bought Dell or Acer. I have now become an Apple (MacBook), convert. The MacBook is over £700 of course.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
In the days when I used Windows laptop (business) I usually bought Dell or Acer. I have now become an Apple (MacBook), convert. The MacBook is over £700 of course.
Dell are costly for spec and her experiences of them as a work machine are poor. I’ve passed the Acer details from above across (Curry’s also have a deal on Office which is also attractive)

She doesn’t do any Apple products and the spec on a £700 one would be pitiful even if it existed (I’m an Apple user but I could never justify the premium for their laptops)

The lenono ideapads are decent and within your price range.
256 ssd ~ £550 at currys, but sometimes a bit cheaper. The 512 ssd is within budget as well.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The lenono ideapads are decent and within your price range.
256 ssd ~ £550 at currys, but sometimes a bit cheaper. The 512 ssd is within budget as well.
I’ve never heard good things about Lenovo build quality, have they improved of late?

Fine from what i can tell. Had more issues with previous acer/toshiba than the current lenono. However, backup is always recommended (and easy these days).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...i5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10193618-pdt.html

I really like our HP Envy, but ours was a 17". Weve had it 5 years and it still flies (i7, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD, 1TD HDD, Nvidia graphics)

gavgav

Guru
I’ve never heard good things about Lenovo build quality, have they improved of late?
My work Laptop is a Lenovo and I’ve had nothing but trouble with it since I first had it. Their engineers have been out to it 3 times. The docking station is even worse.

Top Bottom