Laptop repair cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
right hand

You should be able to get a little flat headed driver underneath the cover at the side and lift the cap pulling it towards your carefully taking care not to crack the fascia where there is a hidden clip. Once the cap is off you have direct access to the hinge.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
tried superglue bad idea

Attachments

• 1610828255960.png
    1610828255960.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 3

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
i don't bother with getting laptops repaired or buying 'reconditioned' ones. After having cups of tea spilled on them,dropping them,getting viruses on them from looking at dodgy sites :secret:i just bin them and buy another cheap, new one.

I used to be an IT Technician in schools and I'm in contact with a lot of them
They are mad busy at the moment due to all this remote lessons stuff and laptops from the government

so if a tech at your school offers to help - be VERY grateful - chocolate maybe??

but - also - I have had this sort of thing to fix manytimes - they can be fixable but are a right pain to tale apart. YouTube videos will help but I advise against using a screwdriver to take is aprt - you really need something softer - I use plastic 'spludgers'.
and when I had to fix my old laptop I took 40 screws out and still couldn't release the keyboard - it really gets to be a pain and a lot of the parts and cables are VERY fragile

by all means have a go - but have a plan b in case it doesn't work afterwards

whatever you do - good luck!!

As much as I hate it, laptops are designed to be disposable and not user-serviceable, although the company that produces them can usually refurbish them since they already have all the tooling.

A user can often effect a limited repair but a lot of it is bodging and delaying the inevitable, particularly when the case fails.

Bluetooth keyboard and external monitor ? Sounds like that would work but you'd need a proper place to keep the laptop. Which would be safer for it's health long term. You can't drop it if it's not being carried.

keithmac

Guru
I bought a HP laptop, decent screen/ SSD hard drive/ decent processor for £60!.

My youngest uses it for school, I use it for zoom etc.

I'd have a go at fixing that, it's broken anyway. Some sort of mechanical fixing.

Gorilla Glue Gell is good on plastic, normal superglue is too brittle..

Reactions: C R
WHen I worked with a proper workshoip and it was my job I repaired quite a few laptops - mostly broken screen (school - hence kids - it happens) and keyboards
The other problems that cropped upa lot was overheating - the cooling fans get clogged up with dust and you often have to dismantle the whole thing to clean it out
These are perfectly doable - as is replacing hard drives, batteries, wifi connections etc

anything more complex and it is not really worth starting - and even then there is no guarantee that a repair will work as the connectors can be so fragile

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bluetooth keyboard and external monitor ? Sounds like that would work but you'd need a proper place to keep the laptop. Which would be safer for it's health long term. You can't drop it if it's not being carried.
yes unfortunately space wise i dont have a dedicated computer desk anymore :sad: mini ck 1 has a school laptop so mini ck 2 has been using mine for home learning and she is notorious for dropping stuff and breaking things even though she has been on the dining table with it .Apparantly no one has dropped the laptop even though the hinge cover was snapped off and the case was like in the picture when i noticed it .
That said mini ck dropped the chromebook he permantly borrowed off mrs ck and didnt tell us either and will not even let me look at it , last night he was cleaning his cd player and did something to the led display that now is very feint so he was screaming about that till nearly midnight .

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not sure i can use it shut ? i do have external keyboard and it does have hdmi output

Go to the search box in the system tray and type lid, hit return. This will bring up the settings page where you can change the behaviour of the laptop when the lid is closed. Choose the option ‘do nothing’ and you’ll be able to use it with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor without it going into hibernation or turning off.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The most common reason for the hinges breaking on a laptop (or similar) is continuos picking up by the screen - especially in a clumsy manner - after time it just breaks

A young grandson falling off the arm of your chair onto your laptop (Asus) has a similar effect. :ohmy:

I put up with the floppy hinges for a year or so (bodging an Ikea laptop support to hold the screen at the right angle), but eventually I bit the bullet and bought a pair of new hinges on eBay for a few quid. To my surprise, they turned out to be not too hard to fit.

Reactions: C R
looks like its external monitor then, shame really as its a good spec and not old at all. I particularly enjoy making very old hardware work well on beyond its planned lifespan, for example I have a mac powerbook from the 90s and a mac mini from 2009 as well as this chromebook 2014 i'm using right now even though Google stopped providing updates for it so i took it apart flashed its firmware and installed an awesome version of Linux then the latest version of Chrome and it works 100% even better than the original ChromeOS

I also recently took an old 32bit Dell laptop and swapped out the CPU for 64bit added a SSD and bingo better than new. I took a totally useless HP netbook that was never any good added an SSD installed a specially optimised version of Linux and turned it into a Plex media server.

I'm also still using an original Tesco Android tablet - now that one is a bit slow at times shame its too old to install a custom ROM like my two Android phones Moto G4 and Nexus 5.

:whistle:

Top Bottom