Laptop security question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My work laptop has microphone and camera disabled I thought but during a meeting with a USB headset the laptop microphone system tray symbol said there were many users connected to it as in 60 plus during a Skype meeting with many people. The number didn't match the number in the meeting BTW.

This laptop has higher security than most companies due to industry involved and we only use approved company supplied peripherals. All connections are via VPN and there's an encryption on the hard drive you have to supply a password before you fully boot. If password isn't supplied it shuts down.

I'm no IT expert but I recall scare stories of things like printer drivers, cameras and others being weak points for hacking. This to me gives me concerns about security so I wonder if there's any IT experts or professionals on here who might know what this means and if it's a concern I should tell IT & Security (same department at work).

Ex IT Tech here - also did some IT security work previously when I was a system admin

If the laptop has been provided by a company who have locked it down with security software then any question should be directed back to the IT department

What you say on public forums can be used to try to find out what is on there and then find weaknesses

especially if the industry you work in is sensitive.

apart from anything else the IT department need to know if there are any strange devices being reported on the system just in case!

Drago

Legendary Member
Even Mark Zuckerberk covers the camera with tape unless he's actually using it.

As a now gratefully retired HiTec crime investigator I'd say there is no complete assurance that software can keep you safe, only maintaining a routine of careful circumspection around cameras and mics is assured to do that.

As EBW says, if you want to know more about your specific machine it's probably best to talk to your IT depth.

Top Bottom