Larder Fridge warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
yes do that - Who designed this kitchen and didn't put a vent in the plinth?

Mine has vent in plinth below fridge freezer int the void area, and the unit the fridge/ freezer sits in has no back and short top so is effectively vented at the top wall side.

Bit of an own goal , pity as the rest of its been fine .

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So has it got a fan to circulate the air? How does the hot air from the condenser escape?

No idea ? I’ll get a look at it when I get home

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You need two vents to create a rising flow of air over the condenser on the back of the fridge, one at the top for hot air to escape, and another at the bottom to let cool air in. One vent at the bottom is no use, because the hot air will still be trapped in the cupboard like the air in a hot air balloon.

Yep as I said I’ll get the jigsaw /circular saw out once I take the fridge out . I’m fairly sure it’s not get a ventilation. I’ll sort that though !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Bit of an own goal , pity as the rest of its been fine .

It does look very smart, and the lighting is nice touch. You may be able to do the top venting into the adjacent cupboards. Warm air rises so it will rise and drag cool air through the plinth vent you are going to install. Vents in either side near the top and rear should then allow the warm air to dissipate, given it appears you haven't got anywhere to get to actual top of the fridge unit?

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It does look very smart, and the lighting is nice touch. You may be able to do the top venting into the adjacent cupboards. Warm air rises so it will rise and drag cool air through the plinth vent you are going to install. Vents in either side near the top and rear should then allow the warm air to dissipate, given it appears you haven't got anywhere to get to actual top of the fridge unit?

Actually all looks ok , there’s air to move around . Think I just need to cut a slot in the plinth? Think the Mrs has panicked abit ! My beer was cold :-)
However a bit more venting at the bottom would help !
D5BBE2BB-D3C1-4B97-9E6E-6A7D0AC438D3.jpeg

D5BBE2BB-D3C1-4B97-9E6E-6A7D0AC438D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 8057F452-888A-4B55-84F5-178CFD237D60.jpeg
    8057F452-888A-4B55-84F5-178CFD237D60.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Think I just need to cut a slot in the plinth?

you need an air -vent in the plinth and decent sized hole / U / V shape in the base unit so it can drag cool air up past it.
1667318355555.png

1667318122091.png

clearly the cupboard isn't airtight so the air will escape out the top somewhere, so probably dont need to vent into adjacent cupboards

si_c

Guru
I'd personally avoid sorting this out myself, at present it's an installer issue, and whilst it might feel like this is the easiest/quickest way to sort the problem if it's not actually the solution you may find the installer then blames you for fscking it all up. I'm all for fixing stuff myself, but in this case there is no financial cost to waiting for the installer to return, but there may well be for not waiting.

I'd let the installer know that the kitchen isn't working - i.e. the fridge isnt' fridging and let them come to their own conclusion see if it matches yours.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'd personally avoid sorting this out myself, at present it's an installer issue, and whilst it might feel like this is the easiest/quickest way to sort the problem if it's not actually the solution you may find the installer then blames you for fscking it all up. I'm all for fixing stuff myself, but in this case there is no financial cost to waiting for the installer to return, but there may well be for not waiting.

I'd let the installer know that the kitchen isn't working - i.e. the fridge isnt' fridging and let them come to their own conclusion see if it matches yours.

This, if you do anything yourself the fitters could use that as an excuse to void the warranty.

CXRAndy

Guru
It poor the fitters didn't fit proper ventilation top and bottom. I had a mate who would wire in a fan to blow air across the condenser when the compressor started. He swore by it for fridges and freezers mounted in cabinets or cupboards where there was lack of good ventilation.

Those were the days when we would modify to improve reliability

Top Bottom