Larger beginner giving a wave from the North West.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biglad

Hiya guys.

I'm a beginner from the North West UK... Infact, I don't think I could even be considered a beginner, since I don't even own a cycle!

I'm at a point where I'm looking in the mirror, and I'm not liking what I see. I'm just tipping the scales at 20 stone. I've spent the last 10 years sat at home, eating take away's and playing PC games. It's been fun, especially for a more reclusive chap. But after a sharp wakeup call from my GP, I've realised that there's more for me out there. I'd like to focus my energies on making my life longer, and better. Not shorter, and rubbish. So here I am, taking the first steps into some intimidating territory!

I've browsed through the forums for a few hours or so prior to registering, and it seems like a positive and friendly community. I know there isn't much I can do by way of actually contributing since I'm so clueless, and although I know I will be asking a lot of questions of you guys, I do hope that in a few years, when I'm not panting after that long walk up the stairs to my computer, I will be able to repay the favours by maybe offering some advice of my own.

So thats me! Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Look to the Amazing Shrinking Gaz for advice (gb155 on here) and inspiration. Got down from 37 stone to 14 by cycling.

Your not alone, not unusual, and not without support on here. Go for it, and find a new body.

OP
OP
biglad

biglad

Nice one guys,

I'm perusing some LBS sites at the moment (check it out, my first cool abbreviation! I'll be 13 stone in no time! haha.) Theres a couple I plan on calling up tomorrow and having a gab with, I'll keep you updated :smile:

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys.

FetterSteve

Hi Biglad,

Welcome.

We are starting from the same point (20st) so be interesting to hear your progress & compare. I was out at the weekend and did 10 miles Sat & 12miles Sun and feel like I'm making slow but steady progress. Now if I could just stay off the chips :-)

You have made a start and that is half the battle .

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Welcome to the forum
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing your progress
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
biglad

biglad

Cheers guys,

I've been up all morning looking at bikes for heavier set gents, think I have a few options open to me. Steve, what is it you ride if you don't mind my asking?

billy1561

BB wrecker
Hi biglad,
Welcome to the forum and you're right it is a friendly place. I'm a nineteen stoner too and my bikes are a claud butler hybrid and a gt avalanche mtb and both take the weight easily. I,m in the north west too so if you aint too far away maybe one weekend a ride may be possible?
Anyway, good luck :hello:

FetterSteve

Biglad,

Just got a Giant Defy 3.5 and it seems to be holding up fine despite the roads being in a shocking state after a Scottish winter.

OP
OP
biglad

biglad

About to head out to a local bike shop recommended to me by a mate to have a chat about my options, budget and what-not. It's a brave new world!

valetillidye

Hiya buddy

I'm a bit of newbie on here as well, I'm from the North West-ish too, well Stoke-on-Trent to be precise. I've had a bike for a few years but did virtually nothing last year due to a 3 year old and a 1 year old that were allergic to sleep

Fingers crossed we've cracked that problem and I can get back in to it again. I'm a bit of an early bide cyclist myself, I prefer to get up before work and do an hour first thing.

I'm only 3 weeks into my new "regime" but touch wood its going well so far !

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome buddy,you will enjoy this forum,it's full of good people and all happy to help.Once you get going going there is no turning back,cycling gets in your blood and you will want more !
Where abouts in the NW are you ? We go one a few group rides during the year (something still new to me but brilliant ) so you get to meet like minded people and see new places plus we always look after newer riders and don't leave them struggling.

Top Bottom