Last decent Cinema film you watched

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I watched the original Wicker Man last week. While most of the film was really entertaining, my god the last 15 minutes were horrendous. I didn't sleep for about 3 days without waking up and thinking of Edward Woodward being burned alive. [shudder]

If Christopher Lee turns up when I'm in the Summer Isles in September I am outta there!! Yikes!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Do NOT watch the remake of The Whicker Man under any circumstances... it is entirely unbearable but for rather different reasons.

I really do not understand the need to remake classic films - I mean look at Stallone's 'Get Carter' - what were they thinking? :blush:

Now, Red Road, on the other hand - what a good film, and almost, almost, a great one...

NickM

Veteran
Kirstie said:
...I didn't sleep for about 3 days without waking up and thinking of Edward Woodward being burned alive. [shudder]
Aaaargh!! ever heard of *contains spoilers*?

Oh, all right. I have seen the Wicker Man...

I'm afraid I can't agree with you about The Flying Scotsman. I thought it quite failed to convey the most significant thing I found in the book, which was that Obree's ability to push himself so very hard was itself a symptom of his mental illness. An opportunity for a really good film about sport missed, I'd say; but then most sports films are not much cop.

As for good films seen recently at the cinema, I think I too would have to go back as far as Pan's Labyrinth, although Children of Men was an impressively plausible version of the near future, and 28 Weeks Later wasn't altogether poo.

If DVDs are allowed, I've seen two corkers in the past week: Requiem for a Dream and Happiness.

Arse! how do you do urls on here, then? <later...> Ah, fixed it - no quotes needed :blush:

mosschops2

I don't get out much these days, and think the only two films I've seen at the cinema all year were Hot Fuzz - which was cracking (if too long) - partially because it was so unexpected!

And This is England, which I thought was well done, but had some flaws / inconsistencies which didn't feel right.... The good bits were great however!

SamNichols

When living in Exeter, I used to be a regular of the local indie cinema, of which i was a member. Now, however, it's far harer, as the cinema in Watford is a trek away. The best films that I've seen recently are:
Sunshine (terrifying)
Hot Fuzz (extremely funny, if marginally over long)
This is England.

Hopeffully it'll be easier to go the cinema when I'm in Manchester.

dbg

Saw Shrek 3 with the wee dbg's - talk about flogging a dead donkey. Before that saw 300 which was great entertainment.

dub-no-bass

The last time I floated out of the cinema on a cloud of "Wow!" was for 'The Prestige' last year.

Thrilled skipping along the pavement followed for 'Little Miss Sunshine' and 'The Lives of Others'.

'Sunshine', 'Children of men' and '28 weeks later' were also pretty good.

On the flipside, our language does not contain enough descriptive words for faeces to describe the latest 'Pirates of the Carribean' effort.

NickM

Veteran
dub-no-bass said:
The last time I floated out of the cinema on a cloud of "Wow!" was for 'The Prestige' last year...
Oh, yes! it went straight into my lifetime first eleven (I tried to have a top ten list, but I just couldn't get down to 10, so I had to have first and second elevens...)

laertes

I don't see a lot of films these days (3 year old son!) but I am pretty hard to please, especially on the comedy front, so I am very happy to endorse HOT FUZZ - riotously funny after a slow start. Someone in the cinema did actually fall of their seat laughing.

Going to see Ocean's 13 later this week.

Keith Oates

Janner
The last time I went to the cinema my partner complained that I was snoring as I slept, she's never asked me to go again and that was several years ago!!!!!!!!!!

Pottsy

I saw The Flying Scotsman last night (the film).

I have to say I was a little disappointed but I think this is because I read the book first. The differences between the two were a little irritating and, as NickM says above, it didn't convey the more driven nature of the character.

I went with a non-cyclist who's view was it was a good film, but it wouldn't stand up as a great film to those without a cycling interest. I suspect the average forum dweller here who watched the events at the time would probably enjoy it just because of that interest.

fuzzy29

Despite living less than 100 yards from my local cinema, I have only being once this year. That was to see Hot Fuzz, which I thought was excellent. But then my dad was a copper and I live in the West Country.

Tetedelacourse

fuzzy29 said:
Despite living less than 100 yards from my local cinema, I have only being once this year. That was to see Hot Fuzz, which I thought was excellent. But then my dad was a copper and I live in the West Country.

Lots of good reports about Hot Fuzz. I thought it was dull. I quite liked Shaun of the Dead but got bored of this one pretty quickly and got irritated at the style of editing. I seem to be the only person on the planet who didn't think it was hilarious though so I'll leave it at that!

Top Bottom